Anyone who lives there can testify that Toronto has always had a killer food truck game. This summer, we can guarantee that your foodie bucket list will be starting off stronger than ever with the creation of SUSHITTO On The Road.

What exactly is a sushitto, you ask? Exactly what it sounds like: a hybrid between a sushi roll and a burrito. Behold:

sushitto

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Now, before you start chasing the sushitto truck through the streets of Toronto like the kids in the CCA ice cream truck commercial, you should probably know what you’re getting your tastebuds, time, and toonies into.

The Journey

sushitto

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

If you live in downtown Toronto, locating this food truck won’t require much effort. If you’re reppin’ Scarborough (or another part of the GTA) like myself, then some prior planning is a must. Personally, I had to wait until 1:00 AM for them to post their location on Instagram. Early the next morning, I travelled to Toronto General Hospital where they were parked.

I recommend going as early as possible to avoid the disappointment of all the food being sold out (especially if you’re coming from Narnia). I got to the food truck ten minutes after it opened and I still had to wait in line for 45 minutes.

The Food

sushitto

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Menu items at SUSHITTO On the Road include kimchi poutine and wakame salad, but as the name suggests, the spotlight is on the sushitto. Options include spicy salmon, lobster and crab, chicken, shrimp, and veggie, with the choice to get one or two halves of any sushitto. I opted for one shrimp half and it was extremely filling and satisfying.

The moment I got the trendiest food of the hour in my hands, I couldn’t wait to see what all the hype was about. I ran – ice cream truck style – all the way to a monument in Queen’s Park. On a regular day I would’ve taken time to note what monument I was sitting on, but not with a sushitto waiting to be eaten.

sushitto

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

The first bite was heavenly. I noticed right away that the ingredients were all of great quality. I was afraid that the rice was going to be pre-made and stale, but it was surprisingly warm and pillowy. The crab, shrimp, fish roe and veggies were unbelievably flavourful. My greasy fingers were a testament to true indulgence.

The one thing that surprised me is that even half of a sushitto is huge. You definitely can’t fit your entire mouth across all of the ingredients. Being a sushi lover, I like to experience all of the flavors of a sushi roll at once, but the burrito part of this concept makes for a different experience. I ended up getting either only veggies or only crab, and at one point only fish roe.

That said, it definitely didn’t stop me from enjoying my sushitto. The consistent rice and nori were enough to compliment all of the ingredients, even separately.

The Verdict

sushitto

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

My final verdict is that everyone should experience a sushitto at least once in their life. Despite being a bit on the expensive side, it’s extremely filling and worth the price. Whether you’re craving Japanese or Mexican food, the sushitto is a great way to kill two birds with one delicious stone.