Since its inception in 2012, Sushisamba has enjoyed a great deal of buzz both in its locations across the pond and at home. It’s easy to see why and it’s also easy to see why it is necessary, even for lunch, to book some time in advance.

sushisamba

Photo by Imogen marshall

Perched atop the 38th floor of the Heron Tower, the restaurant and bar enjoy sweeping views across the picturesque London skyline – amazingly we were positioned right at the edge, enough to make even the most foolhardy’s stomach drop just a tad. The food is just as visually appealing as the view (and as Insta-worthy).

The cocktail menu is eclectic and unusual – rely on the waiters here, whose expertise directs you to the perfect cocktail tailored to you (personally we recommend the Eastern G & Tea and the Nina Fresa for a lighter taste at lunch).

In terms of food, the menu may be slightly overwhelming at first glance, but let’s be honest, whatever you order will reduce you to paroxysms of delight and the fact that all the dishes are shared gives you the chance to sample as much as your stomach (and credit card) will allow.

While you wait (a wait that is perfectly timed) indulge in the plantain chips, you’ll swear that you’ve never tasted anything so good… that is until the first plates come to the table.

Let’s break the menu down.

First the raw stuff.. Our top picks here, combine both fresh and unusual ingredients that are light as a feather on the tongue.

sushisamba

Photo by Imogen marshall

First, scallops with tangy mandarin leche de tigre with pickled mandarin and shiso -an explosion of different textures in the mouth.

sushisamba

Photo by Imogen marshall

Competing for the prize of our favourite dish, this is the ‘Toro’ that combines yuzu soy, wasabi pickle, black truffle and yuzu caviar. We challenge you to find a better ‘raw’ dish anywhere.

On to the main event, the pulling power of Sushisamba. It’s sushi time..

sushisamba

Photo by Imogen marshall

A classic on the menu, so arguably not quite as boundary pushing but no less paradisiacal for the ardent sushi-lover, the Samba London rolls of crab, tuna, salmon, white fish, prawn, avocado, tempura crunch, rice cracker, Japanese pickles, wasabi mayo, aji panca, soy reduction… now try that for a memory cruncher.

sushisamba

Photo by Imogen marshall

Unusual, yes. Delicious, hell yes. The El Topo came highly recommended from the waiters; salmon, jalapeño, shiso leaf, fresh melted mozzarella, crispy onion, they should be illegal how moreish they are.

sushisamba

Photo by Imogen marshall

Hands down the crowning glory of the savoury selection. The sasa roll was a sassy miracle of shrimp tempura, quinoa, shishito, coriander, spicy mayo, red onion and would keep us flogging up and down the 39 floor elevator everyday just for another taste. No words, you’ll just have to try it yourselves.

Photo by Imogen marshall

To end off the meal, if you even have any room left, the desserts are definitely worth ordering (even if it’s just for the instagram photos). Passion fruit cake, green tea and white chocolate ganache, raspberry sorbet, coconut tuile, fresh raspberries, passion fruit…need I say more?

If you’re a sushi-lover and even if you’re not, it would be worth taking the stairs if you had to just to reach these culinary delights.