We’ve all been there. You’re craving sushi and you simply don’t want to be let down once again by the rolls at Cox. There has to be a better answer.

When sushi hunting in Atlanta, people throw a lot of sushi places your way, leaving you confused and sometimes disappointed. Although there aren’t that many, I think the quality is more important than the quantity. In my opinion, there are only three solid restaurants where you can get your sushi fix, and a select few dishes at each that are must-haves.

Miso Izakaya

Though their cooked food is superior to their sushi, Miso Izakaya offers up some great rolls. If you’re going to get a roll, the ahi ahi maki and the oshi roll are the way to go.

sushi

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

In terms of hot food, the shoya tomago is mouth watering, and the shumai is a crowd pleaser. Any of the buns offered are also high notes, such as the softshell crab BLT bun or the more classic crispy duck katsu bun. Miso Izakaya is a good casual dinner spot or perfect for a cute date night.

Taka Sushi

While this one is in Buckhead, so it’s definitely a little farther away, it’s worth the trip. Priced a little higher than Miso Izakaya, the rolls here are the bomb. My personal favorites are the yellowtail special roll (don’t ask what’s in it, just order it and enjoy) and the tuna tartare roll.

sushi

Photo by Sara Kotcher

I also love to order off the menu and get a spicy scallop hand roll, which stands up to some of the best I’ve had. This spot is not as well known, but deserves more attention—it consistently delivers time and time again.

Umi Sushi

Now this is the spot to go with your parents when they’re in town. Umi’s rolls, appetizers and hot food are all good choices. You cannot go wrong with the new page roll, which is flawless shrimp tempura with a slice of lemon.

sushi

Photo by Sara Kotcher

If you’re sticking to sushi, also check out their special nigiri such as the otoro, which is truffle caviar and toro over rice. The crispy rice with spicy tuna is always delicious, but make sure that they are serving it hot, as the temperature of the rice on my most recent experience was luke warm.

sushi

Photo by Sara Kotcher

An added tip for the avocado obsessed readers: the avocado salad is served with a citrus lemon dressing and is awesome. It’s impossible for me to go and not get it. Lastly, if you’re looking for a large entrée, the miso black cod is terrific.

sushi

Photo by Sara Kotcher

So there you have it: the three places to go and what to try. Don’t waste your time anywhere else. I’ve tried it all and nothing compares to the signature dishes that these restaurants know how to slice and serve. Happy sushi hunting!