Prompted by a two-dollar Groupon, we decided to check out one of Hoboken's fancier Sushi establishments, Sushi House. A ten-minute walk from campus, the 155 1st Street location is armed with master chefs and a 2008 Readers’ Choice award from New Jersey Monthly. 

The trendy restaurant grills down seafood, cooks up noodle dishes, and rolls out sushi rolls in tasteful arrangements. The restaurant decor features metal fish adorning the walls and an odd but enjoyable playlist. For the 21+ crowd, this eatery allows a BYOB policy where you can enjoy sipping inside the restaurant’s soft lighting or outside on the patio.

Jenna Wong

If you’re interested in trying something with a twist, you can place your bets on the Summer Roll, which introduces sushi in a different way -- with no rice. It has tuna, salmon, tobiko and avocado wrapped in a thinly sliced cucumber with a side of ponzu sauce, which is similar to soy sauce but has a citrus base. The roll appeals more to those who prefer a more tart taste with a crunchy bite, thanks to the ponzu and the tobiko. For a sweeter or greater range of flavor, you should look towards a signature dish such as the White Angel Roll with mango, avocado and tempura flakes wrapped in white tuna, drizzled in kabayaki sauce and topped with red tobiko.

Jenna Wong

The Sushi

!’m a fan of fancy rolls as much as the next guy, but sometimes I just want something basic. I opted to get Combo A which featured tuna, salmon, and California roll. I’m by no means a sushi expert, but I can say with certainty that my experience was disappointing. Although the price was fair for Hoboken, I did not think the quality was worth it. Immediately after tasting the salmon, I could tell this was your average Hoboken restaurant. From the first bite, it was immediately apparent that the rice was not fresh, dry, and tasted like plain old white rice. The fish wasn’t anything special, and I thought it was decent. In addition, the California roll was decent, which is a plus because you literally can’t mess them up. Overall, I was really disappointed by the quality and price I paid. Although I wasn’t looking for a Michelin star meal; I was more impressed by the sushi I had in Pierce Dining Hall the following day.

If you’re looking for an out-of-this-world experience, the Sushi House of Hoboken probably isn’t for you. Although I probably would not go back without the Groupon, Sushi House is serving up some really unique rolls. If you’re ever in the area, I would definitely recommend grabbing the Groupon deal and checking this place out. Sushi house features underwater decor, interesting music choice.