Picture this: it’s Thursday night and you’re drowning in homework, your eyes red and watering from countless hours staring at your laptop. Your friends are begging you to go out with them, but with so many deadlines looming, you insist it’s not going to happen. “But who can study on an empty stomach?” they plead. Flash forward 35 minutes and you’re two margaritas deep with a heaping plate of nachos in front of you. But don’t worry, you’re not alone. This situation is not uncommon for BU students thanks to the dangerously alluring power of Sunset Cantina, Comm. Ave’s best Mexican restaurant. Located conveniently near the heart of BU’s West Campus, this is the perfect place to wind down after a long day of classes or of binge-watching Netflix. Affectionately referred to as “Sunset” by its regulars, this place is home to Boston’s best margarita and some of the most mind-blowing nachos you will ever experience.

sunset cantina

Photo by Phoebe Melnick

They’re so good that they’ve even been listed on Thrillist.com’s list of the best nachos in the nation. The “South of the Border Fiesta” nachos are my personal favorite. The salty flavor of the perfectly crisp tortilla chips is elevated by homemade chili that melts in your mouth. Topped with crunchy jalapenos, jack and cheddar cheese, guacamole and tons of sour cream, they are what I consider perfection.

sunset cantina

Photo by Phoebe Melnick

Sunset’s menu also features their famous steambeer burger, fajitas, burritos, enchiladas and all types of sandwiches. It even includes delicious salads, for those of you strong-willed enough to opt for lettuce while your friend devours something beefy, cheesy and delicious. Aside from the mouth-watering food, Sunset gives off a great vibe featuring awesomely tacky Mexican decorations, walls covered with beer logos, and a huge center bar that serves over 200 different kinds of tequila. It also hosts trivia nights on Mondays and Tuesdays at 8pm. So if you’re looking for a good time, a decent hangover and a place where cheese is its own food group, you’ve met your match.

average

Location: 916 Commonwealth Ave., Boston, MA 02215

Hours of Operation: Sun-Wed 11-1, Thurs-Sat 11-2