Situated on the corner of Davis and Chicago, Patisserie Coralie is Evanston’s hot-out-of-the-oven new bakery. At first glance, the little shop stands out between its Phoenix Inn and Olive Mountain neighbors, its curly cursive lettering and French-themed exterior giving the Parisian cafe a more refined, Old World charm.

patisserie coralie

Photo by Naib Mian

Walking inside, it’s clear that Patisserie Coralie is no Bennison’s Bakery. Small chandeliers and ivory couches make up the interior décor, while its pastries are angular, clean-cut and have an haute-couture feel to them. Coralie features a variety of desserts, from the unique “inventions” of the pastry chef to more traditional French pastries such as éclairs, croissants and macarons. At around $6 to $7, the fancier treats are a little pricey, but you can get croissants and macarons for around just $2.

patisserie coralie

Photo by Naib Mian

We decided to order one “traditional” pastry, a chocolate éclair and one “unique” pastry, the Exotic Egg. Consisting of a chocolate biscuit-like bottom filled with coconut mousse and topped with a mango-passion fruit “yolk,” the Exotic Egg was a pastry like no other. The coconut became a little lost amidst the stronger biscuit and yolk flavors, but the overall mix of flavors and textures melded together nicely. The éclair was more of a let-down. The chocolate filling was made up of a thick, dark and bitter ganache, but we longed for the lighter cream filling of a more traditional éclair.

patisserie coralie

Photo by Naib Mian

The overall ambiance of Patisserie Coralie is truly charming and unlike any other place in Evanston, making it a fantastic destination for meeting up with friends or even studying for midterms. Coralie has a larger pastry selection in the beginning of the day, so try to make it as early as possible to ensure that your favorite macaron or croissant flavor is still available.