Burger has just opened up on South street right opposite the Rule, and it’s steadily gaining a following. This Edinburgh based fast food joint prides itself on catering to a clientele with unique dietary requirements and have made it a point to have gluten free, dairy free, halal, and vegan options. Don’t let their minimalist website fool you, these guys know how to jazz up your everyday burger.

Now, I could tell you about how they source everything locally, and how they insist on being environmentally friendly, or how they make everything in house and cook everything fresh to order. But that’s not what you’re here for. I mean, you’re mostly here to escape revision, but you’re also here so I can give you all the dirty details on the food and drinks.

Well I aim to please. And let me tell you, so do they.

Chicken Katsu Burger

Burger St. Andrews

Photo by Livvy Boote

Let’s take a moment here to talk about chicken burgers, shall we? I am not interested in a dried out, overcooked, hardened chunk of stringy breast meat. Yet, whenever I ask for a chicken burger this is always what I get. Usually slapped between equally dry buns that are soggy with ketchup.

This is not the case with the Chicken Katsu burger at Burger. Guys, it is SO JUICY. You bite into it and you can just see how juicy it is. It’s also a little pink but don’t worry, that’s just from the spices they use. And if you can’t eat gluten, they’ve got you covered. Just let them know and they will prepare a breadcrumb-free patty in a gluten free bun for your enjoyment. #winning.

Haus Dog

Burger St. Andrews

Photo by Livvy Boote

Livvy, my eating partner, ordered the Haus Dog and it came topped with a healthy helping of sauerkraut (which is proven to be good for you), grilled onions, pickles and mustard. Burger’s hotdogs are made with pure pork meat and have no filler, and you can really taste the quality here. No complaints, these guys can throw together a good hotdog.

Poutine

Burger St. Andrews

Photo by Livvy Boote

So, they may have dropped the ball a little here. For those not in the know, poutine is a Canadian dish with chips smothered in gravy and cheese curds. At Burger, the gravy was good (maybe a little on the bland side, but really not bad at all) and the chips were FABULOUS (skin on and crispy. #yum), but I found myself struggling with the big chunks of cheese curd. They would’ve been great if they had been in smaller pieces, but as it stood there was too much cheese action and that threw it all off balance.

Chocolate Orange Float

Burger St. Andrews

Photo by Livvy Boote

As someone who has always been a float purist (just coke and vanilla ice cream, thank you) I have to admit I was a little skeptical. Having said that, the mix of Fanta, chocolate ice cream, whipped cream and chocolate sauce while odd, grows on you.

Vanilla Milkshake with Chocolate Fudge Brownie Topping

Burger St. Andrews

Photo by Livvy Boote

THIS MILKSHAKE.

I feel so many things. This milkshake has ruined me. It has the perfect consistency, perfect sweetness, and what pushes it over the top are the bits of chocolatey, fudgy, brownie wonder that get blended in at your request. Not a brownie fan? Well 1) that’s really odd and 2) don’t worry. Burger has a variety of other toppings like honeycomb and strawberry sauce you could ask for instead.

Overall Burger is a great place. It’s run by people who are passionate about producing good, affordable food for hungry people looking for a different burger experience. Fair warning, it’s a small place which fills up very quickly, so if you want a place to sit you need to get there early.

Burger St. Andrews

Photo by Livvy Boote

Exams are here guys, and now is the time to #treatyoself. Burger is open everyday from 11a.m. to 9:30p.m. and that 5 minute walk to them from the library will help clear your head. When your IR notes make you wanna cry and your favourite spot in the library has been stolen yet again, go to Burger. As you hold the little beeper in your hands, waiting for it to let you know your order is ready, breathe. Dream of burgers and milkshakes. It’s gonna be ok.