Souvenir Coffee Co, a staple of both the Oakland and South San Francisco Farmers' Markets, has found a quaint home in Berkeley to match its minimalist aesthetic and local coffee philosophy. Nestled in a cozy storefront near the intersection of Claremont Avenue and The Uplands, Souvenir is only a mile away from campus but feels like a sanctuary away from the stresses of the world

Bridget Silver

The vibrant, autumnal hues of the Claremont trees were a charming distraction, making it easy for anyone to get lost on the calm and quiet street. When I finally stumbled upon the coffeeshop, I felt as if I found a hidden treasure.

Ambience 

Bridget Silver

When you first see the small cafe, you can't help but get preemptory feelings of claustrophobia; these are soon relieved, as natural light fills the space, and the simplistic decor with warm wood tables and floors makes every corner feel like a spot to unwind. The aesthetic is a combination of a clean, minimalist design and an inviting, relaxing environment. It is furnished with vibrant, local art, comfy chairs, and the smell of freshly brewed coffee.

Drinks

Bridget Silver

Souvenir Coffee Co's minimalist motif is reflected in its menu, a basic selection of brewed coffee, classic espresso drinks, small pastries, and sandwiches. Simplicity is a nice change of pace from the overwhelming myriad of options in mainstream casual coffee setups. As a former barista, I was inspired to try the under-appreciated cup of coffee to experience the quality of locally-roasted coffee beans with a blueberry coffee cake (and a sample of my photographer's "fauxnut")

Bridget Silver

I'm not normally a fan of medium blend coffee; in my experience, popular medium roast coffees like The Pike's Place Blend from Starbucks always leaves an overwhelmingly bitter, burnt taste in my mouth. Souvenir's medium roast was different—smooth, but slightly bitter on my tongue. My Medium Roast Sumatra Blend coffee had a bold flavor from beginning to end. While I didn't taste an espresso drink, my photographer ordered a cappuccino, and it passed my café test. I believe the mark of a great coffee place is meringue-like foam on a cappuccino with small, uniform bubbles.

Food Selection

Bridget Silver

The light sweetness of the blueberry coffee cake was a great compliment to the modest bitterness of my coffee. I could have easily eaten the coffee cake on its own, as it was moist, with the texture of chopped walnuts and oats sprinkled throughout the batter.

Bridget Silver

My little sample of the "fauxnut," Souvenir's vegan pastry option, was a surprise, as it confused my palate for a second; but the familiar tastes of cinnamon and nutmeg appeared shortly after. While the pastries are not made in-house, Souvenir does keep its promise keeping their selection local by partnering with Batch Bakery, another Oakland favorite. 

Bridget Silver

My photographer and I couldn't resist trying two of the sandwich options after finishing our snack. The turkey sandwich was a play on the tomato Caprese sandwich with pesto, mozzarella, and sun-dried tomatoes on a baguette-like bread. These ingredients can be overpowering on their own, but the sandwich was light and refreshing. I appreciated the crunch of the bread, adding needed texture to a soft sandwich.

Bridget Silver

The vegetarian sandwich was bright and colorful; the bell peppers and zucchini were seasoned well and still had a crisp bite to them. The multigrain bread rounded out the earthy flavors that made this sandwich an amazing choice. With sandwiches made in-house, Souvenir Coffee Co meticulously ensures its food is simple but perfectly executed.

Why Souvenir Coffee?

I could go on singing the praises of the food, but what made this coffee place different to me, what made it come alive, was the people behind the counter, Billy and Dewaine. They have conversations with their customers while making drinks, allowing their personalities to fill the room with their passion for coffee, their hobbies, and the people around them.

Without them, the space would feel like any other cafe: aloof and devoid of real human contact. It's almost as if the soft grey space was strategically designed to be a blank canvas, allowing their vibrant, charismatic personalities to animate the room, encouraging customers to come back for more than just the coffee. 

Bridget Silver

I'll be back at Souvenir Coffee Co very soon for a much-needed session of reading and relaxing. I could see this space being perfect for a solo study session, a casual first date or a light brunch date with a friend. Souvenir offers more than the dime-a-dozen cafes do in the Bay Area; it offers solace for those who want a quiet piece of mind away from their life or an impromptu opportunity to connect with people, paired beautifully with some incredible coffee.