Photo by Bonnie Yan

You might have wondered where the bacon craze came from, and some might credit it to these two “dudes,” Jon Shook and Vinny Ditolo. Starting from their cookbook Two Dudes One Pan, the two chefs have been known for their laid back personalities and informal (yet refined) approach to food. After exploding onto the national scene with Animal, where bacon and innards (veal brain) are rampant throughout the menu, including dessert (bacon chocolate crunch bar, anybody?) these two guys have gone on to open some of LA’s most highly accoladed restaurants, Son of a Gun and Trois Mec.

Photo by Bonnie Yan

But what do two dudes who specialize in innards and bacon know about seafood? Quite a lot, apparently. It might seem to be a bit of a stretch, but the versatility of the cooking truly shines through at Son of a Gun. Chefs Shook and Ditolo are no landlubbers. The lobster roll here is amazing, one of the best in the city, with large chunks of fresh lobster that tastes like it was swimming in the ocean moments before. It might be small in size, but not in taste.

Photo by Bonnie Yan

Ironically, the most popular dish at this restaurant is actually the Fried Chicken sandwich. It might sound crude and almost unthinkable to order a Fried Chicken sandwich in a seafood restaurant, but the first bite will prove that this popularity is justified. Served with delectable slaw and rooster aioli, the crunch of the fried chicken might remind you of Chinese KFC (for those of you who are lucky enough to have had it, you know what I’m talking about).

Photo by Bonnie Yan

For those of you who like tangy dishes, the linguine & clams might be a refreshing plate in comparison to the heavier dishes mentioned earlier, but it is no less hearty and equally satisfying. Other recommended menu items are the uni burrata (one of LA Weekly’s top 100 dishes in Los Angeles in 2012) and the shrimp toast.

Another surprising aspect of the menu is the seasonal section, which features local vegetables at their peak. Although they might have gained notoriety and fame from their expertise at meat , they also show remarkable finesse in the pairing of seasonal ingredients. The heirloom tomato salad was amazingly complex and could easily fight among the best vegetarian dishes in Los Angeles.

We recommend around 2-3 dishes per person (and obviously getting the Fried Chicken sandwich as one of those dishes). Dessert here is quite good, but you could also head just a few doors down to Joan on Third’s for Salt & Straw ice cream or any of their amazing housemade pastries (the chocolate cookie is really quite amazing).

Plates range from $13-28, with average spending per person of approximately $45 (including tax and tip but not alcoholic beverages).

Son of a Gun

8370 W. 3rd Street

Los Angeles, CA 90048

(323)782-9033