What is Som Bo?

Sahil Chaudhry

Som Bo is a small restaurant in the middle of Chelsea with great tasting and healthy food.  This restaurant is a packed location during lunch and dinner hours and has a very hipster vibe as soon as you enter the door. 

Rahul Chaudhry

Background

After walking into the store, the staff was extremely friendly and I even got to meet the owners to talk to them about the restaurant.  I first asked the owners about where they got the name for their restaurant, and they stated that the phrase "Som Bo" has history itself that led to the creation of the restaurant.  Within Chinatown, many Chinese immigrants went to food halls to eat quick meals before getting back to work.  And one of the most popoular meals was Som Bo, which is rice served with three side dishes.  This became an affordable meal for immigrants and was a staple for Chinese-American citizens.  After these food halls shut down due to misconceptions about the healthiness of the meals, the executive chef and owner of Som Bo, Robert Chan, "combined ingredients and flavors of his roots with his culinary experience in fine dining kitchens. His Asian fusion menu aims to bring “som bo” dishes back to the limelight".  

Rahul Chaudhry

The Food

The food itself was extremely healthy and very tasty.  To start off, a person picks the base which ranges from grains to salads and vegetables.  Following this, people can get one protein, two sides, and a sauce on top.  After trying a majority of the options on the menu, my personal favorite combo was brown rice, sweet potatoes, grilled hanger steak, the roasted beet salad, and the chimichurri sauce.  Many other notable and delicious options was the Korean aioli, the lemon grass green beans, and the curry chicken.

Sahil Chaudhry

The Drinks and Sides

Looking for a quick snack or drink?  Som Bo also has unique options if you are looking for a small meal or bite.  The first is the tempura avacado which is a freshly fried avocado which can be eaten with the korean chilli aioli, and tastes amazing!  In addition, there are many drink options such as Vietnamese cold brew which is a thick creamy coffee, and iced lychee hibiscus tea.  Both of these are for those who don't like drinks that are too sugary, and have very unique and interesting flavors.