When I asked one of the owners how she would describe the food served at her restaurant, she simply responded, “traditional Turkish home-cooking”. Sofra Cafe opened in January of 2015, bringing a wide variety of Turkish foods and beverages to Bloomington.

These mediterranean staples include pastries, salads and rich stews that are sure to satisfy any palate. They offer options for almost any dietary preference including vegetarian/vegan, halal and meat lovers alike. While visiting Sofra, I gathered some great insight on just which dishes best represent this bright, upbeat cafe.

Bakery Items

Turkish Cafe

Photo By Emma Hammock

A very important dessert in most Turkish restaurants is the beloved baklava – a dessert made with layers of paper-thin phyllo dough layered with a thick, sweet and sticky syrup and baked to perfection. Sofra is one of the only restaurants in the area that prepares their baklava by hand (and not with pre-made phyllo). This makes their baklava even more special – making phyllo from scratch is no walk in the park!

Turkish Cafe

Photo Courtesy of Sofra Cafe

One of my personal favorites from the bakery is the simit (pictured above). Sesame seed-covered rings of dough, baked until slightly crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. These are a very popular treat, especially with Turkish tea or Turkish coffee (both available at Sofra).

#Spoontip: Ask to get your simit warmed up, it makes this already soft baked good like a cloud.

Also filling up the bakery shelves are fresh böreks (aka flaky and buttery pastries) filled with creamy feta cheese and spinach. For the kids or simply the picky-eaters, Sofra offers a Turkish twist on an Italian classic – yep, you guessed it pita pizza! Warm, fluffy dough topped with black olives or sausage. Perfect for a quick, on-the-go lunch or snack.

Appetizers

Turkish Cafe

Photo By Emma Hammock

I personally have a long history of loving Turkish food so I decided to try two entrees at Sofra: one of them was the mercimek koftesilentil and bulgar wheat patties with onions and fresh spices. They are the meatless equivalent to kofte (a Middle Eastern meatball) and are served with a cool, creamy tzatziki sauce topped with olive oil and fresh mint for dipping.

Turkish Cafe

Photo by Emma Hammock

The second dish that I tried was the kısır (kisir), also known as tabouleh, which is a cold salad that consists of bulgar wheat, green onions, tomatoes and spices. It’s the perfect side dish to any meat or vegetable entree, but it’s just as delicious by itself!

#SpoonTip: I got a great deal on these appetizers by taking advantage of the hooked app which frequently has deals for buy one get one half off appetizers and 25% off of entrees! (Deals vary daily).

Turkish Cafe

Photo by Emma Hammock

For the meat lovers in your life, the owners (and customers) recommend the biber dolma (stuffed peppers)This vibrant dish is made by filling bright green and red bell peppers with rice, ground beef and tomatoes, and is served with a side of yogurt.

For those who aren’t pepper fans, there is also hunkar begendi (Sultan’s Delight). Sultan’s delight is a popular classic all around Turkey, this dish mixes the best of both worlds with both hearty meat and savory vegetables. The kebab meat is served over cooked eggplant and cheese. It’s the perfect dish to warm you up on a chilly winter evening.

Desserts

Turkish Cafe

Photo By Emma Hammock

For dessert I had künefe which is cheese baked with shredded pastry dough, soaked in rosewater and sugar syrup, and topped with crumbled pistachio. This simple, yet super sweet treat is sure to please any sweet tooth! If you want something a little less cheesy, be sure to try the tulumba. Tulumba is a delicious fried pastry covered in a heavy sugar syrup. They also serve some desserts that aren’t fried such as crepes filled with cheese covered in cherry compote and caramel pudding.

If you’re looking to try something new with your ethnic food loving friends, then Sofra is the place for you! There are dishes here for even the pickiest of eaters and will be satisfying for everyone in you family or group of besties. Can anyone say “Girls Night”?