Something far greater than just another coffee shop” recently opened near campus. The new SoDoI Tasting House on Durant is the proud first location of SoDoI coffee roasters. Spacious and beautifully decorated with a cabin feel, SoDoI is an escape from the bustling streets of Berkeley that seeks to inspire customers with more than just coffee.

coffee

Photo by Luna Zhang

Manager-in-training Josh Lee’s excitement for the SoDoI movement is contagious. He desires the tasting house to be a place where customers can make connections over their coffee, a place where people can come together to incite change in this world.

coffee

Photo by Luna Zhang

In this way, SoDoI is not just a clever name to Lee and the rest of the enthusiastic staff. It’s a response. For example, “You want to fight for this cause? So do I!” The SoDoI movement is simple and painted boldly on the wall of their new location: “Delivering hope and inspiration while serving the finest coffee.”

coffee

Photo by Luna Zhang

“Finest coffee” is not an overstatement for SoDoI. In a world where coffee shops are dominated by sugar-laden lattes and frappes, SoDoI offers a minimalist yet wonderful menu displaying their three main roasts plus a decaf option. Though sugar is available, SoDoI encourages customers to drink their coffee without sweetener. Just one sip will change the way the you think of black coffee. The coffee shop also sells pastries and cookies to be enjoyed along with their roasts, which can be enjoyed both hot or iced.

coffee

Photo by Luna Zhang

Consistent with the vibe of this unique shop, SoDoI’s three roasts are not simply Dark, Medium and Light. If you want to try an unusual lemony flavor with a “floral aroma,” ask for a cup of “Memory of Arashiyama,” their lightest roast. Feeling the need for something smooth and sweet? Try “Open Your Heart,” their medium roast. Or, if you want to fall in love with something bold, try My Dream, My Coffee,” their rich, dark roast.

Each cup comes in one size and takes about five minutes to make. But the time and the small portions are well worth it once you’ve taken your first sip. This is not coffee to be hastily chugged on your way to class; it is coffee to be savored.

coffee

Photo by Luna Zhang

The care that goes into making each cup is a big part of what makes the experience at SoDoI so different from your average coffee shop. SoDoI uses the hand drip method which requires the barista to artfully pour hot water over a filter full of their ground-in-store beans. Taking great pride in each cup, the barista will only hand your coffee over once they’re sure it’s perfect.

coffee

Photo by Luna Zhang

SoDoI Tasting House offers a new way to experience coffee and an inspiring outlook on life. Whether you’re looking to join an inspiring movement or just taste flawless coffee, stop by to see all that this great company has to offer.