Opened in 1983 in St. Paul, Snuffy's Malt Shop is a classic 1950s diner for the present day. Its bright red trademark sign and delicious smells beckon in regulars and newcomers alike for a taste of its famous malts—no matter the season. Snuffy's founder Mike Mueller says he envisioned a diner reminiscent of his childhood with quality food at a reasonable price. Today, Snuffy's still follows his values and has since opened three more locations in Twin Cities neighborhoods, thanks to their great-tasting grub.

Camille Balhorn

Atmosphere

As you walk in, the 1950s diner influence is clear and gives the space a nostalgic atmosphere perfect for slurping down malts.

Camille Balhorn

The clientele is composed of families, couples and friends. It seems to be a popular choice after school events or for family outings.

Camille Balhorn

Food 

All food is prepared in an open kitchen, a ploy used to make you smell all the food in agony while you wait for your order.

Camille Balhorn

Once your order finally comes, it's truly magical. The malts are whipped up with real ice cream and your flavor of choice and have a great consistency. I'd recommend both blueberry (left) and fudge banana (right).

Camille Balhorn

For food, options range from the standard hamburger to sandwiches to homemade chili.

Camille Balhorn

And of course, never forget to order fries. Snuffy's adds a sort of cheese-curd flavor that makes them absolutely scrumptious.

Camille Balhorn

If you're looking for some greasy American fare in the Twin Cities, Snuffy's is the way to go. It's true to its promise on quality food and affordable prices. I recommend it for a splurge meal without a doubt.