When you’ve never been to Brooklyn and you’re still brand new to New York, you’ll find yourself falling in love with all the best parts of the city. Completely unwittingly naïve, I made my way to 90 Kent and N. 7th Street to Smorgasburg, convinced that as a self-proclaimed anti-romantic, I would be safe from infatuation.

Doughnuts

Photo by Corinne Singer

Needless to say, I was grossly unprepared for the feelings about to strike when I took that first look at Dough Doughnuts. Just sitting there waiting…

They pretty much overwhelm you with flavor selections, which is why I bought two (but that’s not important). The flavors I’m talking about are Passion Fruit, Hibiscus, Coconut Creations, Dulce de Leche, Tropical Chili, Café Au Lait, and of course the Classic Glazed.

Doughnuts

Photo courtesy of firstwefeast.com

Let’s discuss the Hibiscus doughnut because I’m hooked on it like a deep, dark, middle-school crush. This wasn’t any ordinary doughnut. This was an “as soon as you see it, you fall into an infatuation and as soon as you engage with it, you know you’ll never be able to crawl out of the hole you’ve fallen into” kind of doughnut.

Imagine the 21st century version of getting flowers on the first date…but you can eat those flowers. Just look at this and tell me you don’t want to feel that kind of love for something.

Doughnuts

Photo by Corinne Singer

Now onto the delicious details. Perfectly fluffy and light, the icing wasn’t too thick or too heavy, the garnish, not too obvious. I probably could have eaten about four of them without feeling horribly gross. And since I was eating the doughnut version of a flower, it wasn’t too sweet or super overpowering in terms of flavor.

Having had my fair share of gut-wrenchingly disgusting lavender macaroons, I was quick to write off any plant-based dessert. But Dough Doughnuts made me realize I could love again.

Doughnuts

Photo by Corinne Singer

So there you have it. The three dollar doughnut that changed my life forever. Needless to say Dough, I’ll be seeing you again.