Iowa City isn’t only known for its partying, the food here is also ah-mahz-ehn.

We all have our favorite restaurants, our “go to places.” BUT, (and a big one at that) these six hidden gems will leave you hungry for more. Trying new things can be scary, but I promise you won’t regret these.

GIF courtesy of reactiongiphs.com

1. Mosley’s

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

Miss your Mom’s home cooking? COME HERE. Their ribs melt in your mouth. Not to mention their pulled pork sandwich — with homemade sides. OH BABY. Thirsty after a long day of class? COME HERE. Everyday from 3-6 (except on home football games) they have a happy hour. Buy one drink, get the second one for a penny. Excited yet?

2. El Banditos

Photo courtesy of Press Citizen

You might have not sat in this restaurant yet, but I guarantee you’ve passed it numerous times. It’s right across from the legendary Iowa City Blue Bird. Check. This. Place. Out. All of their food is hand-made from family recipes. Talk about authentic. They’re known for their breakfast, but you really can’t go wrong when eating there. But whatever you get, you absolutely need to get a side of their guac, no questions asked.

3. Forbidden Planet Pizza + Arcade

Photo courtesy of Facebook.com

Every college kid’s fantasy (besides free tuition). Pizza, beer, arcade games. I’m picky with my crust, just like every pizza eater should be. They offer deep dish, thin crust, and square 6-inch slices, that will satisfy even the most critical eater. PLUS they offer a single topping metro slice and a soda for only $5.

GIF courtesy of reddit.com

4. Oasis Falafel

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

This place will take your taste buds on a wild but very enjoyable ride. It is Mediterranean style, but the menu includes anything from French fries to Moroccan eggplant (fried eggplant with seasoned and sautéed onions, tomatoes & cilantro. SO GOOD.). The atmosphere is cozy, and is perfect for a quick bite to eat.

5. 30hop

Photo courtesy of The Daily Iowan

If you’re a student with a car, take full advantage and drive to 30hop. If you’re not, beg one of your friends to take you. Even though it’s not in downtown Iowa City, the atmosphere is extremely young and fun. Not to mention they have 60 beers on tap and a roof top patio. Oh, and you should try their salmon BLT, you’ll thank me later.

6. Quinton’s Bar and Deli

Photo courtesy of Roaddtrippers.com

So much food, so little price. Everybody loves that combination. Quinton’s is right downtown, but it’s smaller so people tend to over look it. DON’T. They have an amazing artichoke dip, and I hear their baked potatoes are off the chain. Oh, and Thursdays ALL DAY they serve half-price drinks.

So slam down a barbecue sandwich at Mosley’s, enjoy some pizza at Forbidden Planet, or sip on a half price drink at Quinton’s. Expand your horizons and you won’t be disappointed.