There's certainly no shortage of sushi restaurants in Kingston. The title of "the best sushi place" is often a subject of debate among students. I’ve been able to explore the Kingston sushi scene quite extensively over the course of my undergrad, and there's one restaurant that stands out: Sima Sushi.

Sima was actually the first sushi restaurant I visited in Kingston. I went there with my mother during Frosh Week for the classic “dropping your child off at university” goodbye lunch. While the occasion was bittersweet, the sushi was far from it.

Located on Princess Street in the heart of downtown Kingston, Sima is one of the smaller (and cozier) sushi restaurants in the city. It can get pretty busy during peak dinner hours and the restaurant doesn’t take reservations, so it’s best to go early or plan on a bit of a wait. Full disclosure: the sushi is well worth it.

Sima has a wide selection of specialty rolls as well as a selection of more classic maki and nigiri. Among my friends, the Red Dragon roll is a favourite.

Sima also has a great selection of vegetarian and vegan-friendly options. My personal favourite is the Green Field roll, a combination of avocado, seaweed salad, mushrooms and lettuce. It’s also a great place for a classic avocado or cucumber roll. Try the Oshinko roll if you're feeling adventurous—it’s made of pickled radish and does not disappoint.

nori, avocado, tuna, wasabi, salmon, fish, rice, seafood, sushi
Hannah Latour

If you’re not in the mood for sushi, Sima also offers a variety of teriyaki, teppanyaki and tempura dishes. The seaweed salad and gyoza are a great addition to any sushi meal.

All orders are accompanied by a free miso soup, and refills on their delicious green tea are also free.

beer, wine
Hannah Latour

While Sima is considered one of the pricier sushi options in Kingston, the portion sizes are pretty generous and the quality of the sushi is worth the extra cost. Sima is also extremely consistent with their friendly (and fast) service, and I know that I can count on an excellent meal every time I go there.

tea, sake, coffee, milk
Hannah Latour

Apart from saying goodbye to my friends and dealing with the paralyzing anxiety of stepping out into the real world, leaving Sima behind is going to be one of the hardest parts about graduating. It’s not just the amazing sushi I’ll miss either. Sima was home to a lot of great memories and could always be counted on as a place to drown post-exam sorrows in an endless container of sake.

Thanks for being a part of my undergraduate experience, Sima. I hope to see you again soon.