Everyone has their go-to for Asian food in Ann Arbor. Those who consider themselves adventurous hit Rich JC or Kang’s Korean for BiBimBop and Bulgogi. Those short of time and with battleproof digestive systems can be found at No Thai. And the sushi-die hards stick to Sadako.

But conveniently located right in the middle of all those South U favorites is an unassuming Chinese/Vietnamese spot that has some high potential. Saigon Garden, that place you always curiously peer into across from Landmark, serves up comforting Vietnamese favorites like Pho & Mi and Chinese staples like Moo Shu & Lo Mein.

saigon garden

Photo by Levi Teitel

On a chilly Saturday night, I visited Saigon Garden with two hungry friends. The quiet, warm atmosphere was a welcome contrast to many of the bustling South U Asian restaurants. We immediately put in an order of scallion pancakes and fresh spring rolls for appetizers, which arrived fresh promptly. The scallion pancakes–triangles of flaky fried onion-y dough–were devoured immediately.

saigon garden

Photo by Levi Teitel

Next came the main dishes. Between the three of us we split a big bowl of pho with chicken, vegetable lo-mein, and beef curry fried rice. Word to the wise: go halfsies. Each of us took home half a dish (which we happily ate the next day). Regardless, everything was delicious. The pho was stick-to-your-ribs hot, the lo-mein everything you could want in a Chinese noodle dish, and the curry flavorful and spicy.

saigon garden

Photo by Levi Teitel

Now that you know the deal, there’s no reason to pass up on that little spot on South Forest you’ve always been curious about. The next time you need a quick, affordable and satisfying bowl of soup or curry, head to Saigon Garden. It may just become your new go-to.