On April 6, Spoon visited Shell & Bones, an award-winning restaurant located on the New Haven Harbor. Seated at a table right by the water, we watched the sunset over the beach and the lights come up after dark, stray boats leave and dock at the harbor, seagulls soar overheard, and basked under the stars at night.

The restaurant had a lively atmosphere buoyed by fireside conversations and the ocean breeze and it was fully booked on a Tuesday night, a testament to its unparalleled food, drink, and ambience. With its award-winning chefs, acclaimed food, and sublime location, Shell & Bones felt like an escape and a lifestyle — an aspirational cove of culinary genius tucked into the Long Wharf harbor.

Cocktails

Janie Wu

Yoo-Hoo!

Janie Wu

The Yoo-Hoo! added a creative alcoholic spin to a classic childhood drink. Made with house infused vanilla vodka and Giffard créme de cacao, blended with Ghiradelli chocolate, and topped with light Ghiradelli chocolate shavings, the drink was a sophisticated take on an old-time favorite and a chocolaty delight.

Get Him to the Greek

Janie Wu

The Get Him to the Greek was highly recommended to us — using Skinos Mastiha, Xicala Mezcal, Angostura, and Fever Tree Ginger Beer, and adding hints of rosemary and lemon, this charming cocktail had the flare of a mojito with a distinctly Greek influence.

The Brian Wilson

Janie Wu

Named for the Beach Boys co-founder Brian Wilson, this cocktail had a fruity playfulness which encapsulated the spirit of the group. With the lively and floral Mizu Shochu providing a delicate and aromatic base and cucumber and Natalie’s grapefruit juice adding zest and acidity, the Brian Wilson had a spirit of adventure — a perfect cocktail to sip while sitting next to the ocean.

Appetizers

Oysters Rockefeller

Janie Wu

Oysters are an easy food to mishandle — they can be mercurial and tricky to prepare, and often be over-salted or have a briny flavor. Shell & Bones’s Oysters Rockefeller not only avoids these pitfalls, but also elevates the oyster flavors with an innovative twist, adding spinach, parmesan, and Pernod to complement the oyster’s deep, savory flavor — we couldn’t get enough.

Crab Cake

Janie Wu

Fresh, soft, and light on the inside with a crispy first bite, Shell & Bones crab cakes were the best crab cakes we’d ever tasted. Paired with cabbage slaw, avocado, and lemongrass aioli to add a refreshing twist, the crab cakes also featured hints of Asian cuisine, giving it a distinctive twist and unique flavor.

Baked Brie Flatbread

Janie Wu

The baked brie flatbread was one of the highlights of our trip — with creamy brie layered over a crispy flatbread and topped with caramelized onion, apple, balsamic, and arugula, the flatbread demonstrated the way incredible flavors could come together in perfect harmony. The acidity of the balsamic cut through the deep creaminess of brie and the toasted bread added a satisfying crunch to top it off.

Entrees

Janie Wu

Steamed Lobster

Janie Wu

The steamed lobster is one of Shell & Bones’ signature dishes, and our visit showed us why. Steamed to bring out the natural flavor of ocean salt and a dash of sweetness, the lobster paired well with the creaminess of the house-made butter. Every bite felt like a luxury, and each was elevated by the truffle pommes frites and roasted Brussel sprouts that served as sides to the meal. The endless combination of flavors elevated the experience and made us savor every piece — definitely a must-have!

Seared Scallops

Janie Wu

The seared scallops were impossibly tender, sweet, and buttery, with a delicate flavor that was accentuated by a bed of haricot verts, curried cauliflower, and golden raisins, all paired with a vin blanc sauce, providing a delicious savory complement to the mild sweetness of the scallops.

Desserts

Ricotta Doughnuts

Janie Wu

Coated lightly with cinnamon sugar, soft and airy on the inside, and paired with the most incredible chocolate dipping, Shell & Bones’ ricotta doughnuts were the perfect way to end a perfect meal.

Pistachio Creme Brûlée

Janie Wu

The creme brûlée featured a rich vanilla custard with hints of pistachio topped with a layer of crispy caramelized sugar, fresh cream, strawberries, and a touch of mint. The pistachio flavor was subtle and paired well with the flavors in the creme brûlée, and the fruits lightened the pastry with a touch of acidity.