In San Francisco and around the country, June signals the colorful celebration of LGBTQ+ pride. Thousands of people flock to the SF Bay Area to celebrate LGBTQ+ pride events, including the famous SF Pride Parade to commemorate the historical Stonewall Riots in 1969, and visit Bay Area LGBTQ owned businesses and restaurants. While there are hundreds of LGBTQ+ owned restaurants to choose from, here are some of the tastiest, most unique restaurants that should be on your go-to list.

1. Navi Kitchen

Have you ever tasted Tikka Masala Mac + Cheese or Chai Bacon? Well, now you can try them at Navi Kitchen, where chef-owner Preeti Mistry and business partner Ann Nadeau serve up modern Indian cuisine pioneering twists on classic dishes such as pizza, mac and cheese, and avocado toast. Along with sourcing ingredients from local farmers and vendors, Navi Kitchen also donates regularly to local organizations such as Black Lives Matter Bay Area and Planting Justice. Before starting Navi Kitchen, the wife and wife partnership joined forces to run Indian Street Food joint Juhu Beach Club in Oakland, CA.

2. Hella Vegan Eats

Who said that vegan food is boring? Chefs-owners Tiffany Esquivel and Sylvee Danger Esquivel are here to show you that vegan food can be delicious, exciting, and diverse! Equipped with a vegan Mexican fusion menu boasting dulce de leche french toast, chile verde chicken quesadilla, and fried chicken and waffles, Hella Vegan Eats, located in a vintage car dealership lures vegans and non-vegans alike. The couple makes a point to include signs that promote solidarity for Muslim, women, LGBTQ+, and people of color friends and neighbors.

3. Shakewell

When two Top Chef Alums come together – especially if they are Jen Beisty and Tim Nugent – magic can only happen. Jen Beisty, executive chef and partner, and Tim Nugent, general manager and partner, run Shakewell, a Spanish-Mediterranean tapas restaurant in Oakland, CA. While Beisty spearheads tasty kitchen creations such as Ancho chili short ribs, Nugent invents pastry recipes such as churros with a bittersweet chocolate sauce and oversees the front-of-the-house. The duo creates a welcoming environment during the weekends for all types of families and celebrates Pride with vibrant decor, goofy costumes, and specialty drinks. Together, Beisty and Nugent make the perfect team.

4. Brenda’s French Soul Food

Feast your eyes on the hottest brunch spot in San Francisco. Serving up Louisiana-style Cajun food since 2007, chef-owner Brenda Buenviaje and business partner Libby Truesdell run an empire of iconic southern food restaurants, including Brenda's French Soul Food. Even Kendrick Lamar and SF Giants pitcher Madison Bumgarner approve. Fan favorites on the menu include the Crawfish Beignets, Shrimp & Grits, and creamy French Toast. The powerful wife and wife partnership also manage Libby Jane Cafe, an offshoot cafe of Chef Brenda's Kitchen, and Brenda's Meat & Three, a Southern restaurant serving meat dishes and sides to hungry customers.

6. Orphan Andy's

street car with a headlight & orphan andy's : jane warner plaza, castro, san francisco (2012)

torbakhopper on Flickr

Located in the heart of the Castro district, co-owners Dennis Ziebell and Bill Pung have operated Orphan Andy's since it first opened in the 1970s. Open 24/7 to the public, Orphan Andy's invites customers to dine on red swivel chairs and feast on brunch favorites such as Monte Cristo and late night snacks like chicken strips. This diner has solidified itself as the go-to night restaurant in the Castro district for years to come.

7. Little Window by Bicycle Banh Mi

In an interview with Chef David Phu on the price value of Vietnamese sandwiches, co-owner of Little Window Jess Nguyen proclaimed, "My argument is that a Banh Mi is, at its most basic definition, a sandwich. People should pay for what sandwiches cost." Bicycle Banh Mi started when Jess Nguyen delivered fresh banh mi from her bicycle throughout San Francisco. Her successful ventures helped transform her bicycle shop into a catering business. Now selling over 1,000 sandwiches a day from their walk-in shop Little Window, Jess Nguyen and mother Kim Nguyen are both strong advocates for Vietnamese food and culture as well as LGBTQ+ and female employees.

8. Equator Coffees and Teas

Equator Coffees and Teas was one of the first trailblazers in the coffee industry. Established in 1995 by co-founders Brooke McDonnell and Helen Russell, Equator has remained committed to sustainable coffee practices, high-quality ingredients, and an equitable supply chain for farmers. Currently boasting seven cafes spanning Oakland, Downtown SF, and Mill Valley, Equator strives to be a positive force in the SF Bay Area and the international community for women.

9. Finn Town

As a first-generation San Franciscan and long-time Castro resident, Finn Town Proprietor Rick Hamer seeks to create a warm and welcoming community in a neighborhood he loves. He opened Finn Town, "a tavern with a twist", and serves up specialty cocktails inspired by iconic figures who have a special connection to San Francisco. During Pride Week, Finn Town promotes an array of pride food festivities including their Special Pride Cocktail Menu, Pink Saturday Brunch, and Rainbow Sunday Pride Brunch.

While Pride Month in the SF Bay Area should be a month to remember, supporting LGBTQ+ Businesses only during the month of June is not enough. These businesses should have the customer support to thrive all year round. So remember, if you end up stumbling upon a tasty LGBTQ+ owned restaurant or food business, make sure to share it with people you know so that we can begin encouraging a culture of inclusive and welcoming food spaces.