You have finally found your new snacking destination!

Boston Chinatown is well known for its food scene, as they offer an abundance of Asian foods which satisfy all types of budgets. Unknown to many, going to Chinatown is a hack for students who want to try a variety of desserts and snacks without spending an insane amount of money. 

Tommy Xiao

Here are 5 desserts that won't break the bank!

1. Egg Tarts

Ina Beinborn

For only $1 each, the egg tart is a real bargain. Also known as the Daan Taat, the egg tart was made famous in Hong Kong in the 1920s, as it was influenced by the English and Portuguese settlers in the region who introduced the custard and Portuguese egg tarts respectively. Today, egg tarts can be found all over the world, and is a special delight served in most Chinatown Bakeries. 

The egg tart I tried was from Great Taste Bakery and Restaurant, and was my favorite take on the classic snack from all the Chinatown bakeries. As I bit into the egg tart, I was immediately hit by a sweet custard filing and a soft flaky crust. The runny texture of the custard melted in my mouth, and really complemented the slight chew from the crust, which showcased the complete flavor characteristics of the dessert well.  

2. Coconut Pudding

Ina Beinborn

The Coconut Pudding, a dessert that is unknown to most foodies interested in Asian snacks, is a real gem within the Chinese community. This pudding possesses a rich coconut flavor, while also maintaining a light and creamy texture. Much like the egg tart, the coconut pudding also melts effortlessly in the mouth, and provides a light sweetness that is not overpowering. At only $1.75, the coconut pudding will also enable you to escape without guilt, as you will not end up with a hole in your pocket. 

3. Fried Bread Sticks

Ina Beinborn

Chinese fried bread sticks, or "Yau Tiu", are a real classic when it comes to Chinese snacks. In China, most people will be consuming this alongside a wonderful bowl of soy milk while having breakfast. The bread sticks at Great Taste are really authentic as they have a slight crunch on the outside, and will even surprise you with soft but chewy bread-like texture in the middle, which emulates the flavors found in China. 

The layers within the bread are much like a croissant, and can prove to be a great budget replacement given its $1.00 price tag. 

4. Coconut Red Bean Mochi

Ina Beinborn

The Chinese mochi is another hidden treasure within the bakeries of Chinatown, as they are not well known in the American food scene. 

Unlike its Japanese counterpart, the Chinese Mochi is usually coated with coconut flakes that provide a subtle nutty flavor on the outer layer as well as the soft Mochi. Great Taste Bakery offers two flavors inside the Mochi: Red Bean and Peanut. Both of these flavors stay true to the cantonese traditions, and can be found at a lot of bakeries in Hong Kong and southern China. 

Given the $1 price point for these indulgent snacks, they are really worth trying out whenever you visit Chinatown! 

5. Mango Desserts 

Ina Beinborn

Mango desserts are popular in many different Asian countries, and definitely do not disappoint in Boston Chinatown. I had the Mango Mochi at Sweet Kingdom. This dessert place is well known for their mango desserts, as they offer a wide variety ranging from mango ice cream to mango with herbal jelly. 

Most of Sweet Kingdom's mango desserts are filled with sago, which has a similar texture as tapioca, but is minuscule in size. The sago really maximizes the flavors of the mango, because it provides some much needed texture to the sweet and fruity dessert

Tommy Xiao

Overall, Boston Chinatown is a must go for foodies that are crazy about desserts. Given the low prices of all these snacks, they are also much more worth it for college students who are less willing to give up their spending money to satisfy their sweet tooth. 

So next time you come to Boston skip the lines at Mike's pastry, and head straight to the Chinatown bakeries instead!