My morning started off not with a cup of coffee but with putting my name on the virtual waitlist for a table. People will wait hours to eat at Buttermilk Kitchen (including me). Of course, it was Saturday brunch in Atlanta, so if you plan to do the same, heed my advice when I say you must join the waitlist. I was given a two-hour wait time, and it ended up being extremely accurate; I got a text that my family's table was ready 10 minutes after pulling in. 

Fan Favorite 

Upon looking at the menu, one item immediately stuck out: the Gluten Free Banana Bread Loaf (in the header photo). My mom is gluten-free, so we were so excited to find bread she could eat. It came lathered with an espresso ganache and toasted hazelnuts on top. The most unique component was the sea salt sprinkled over the loaf. The combination of the moist banana bread with the sweet ganache and crunchy nuts was incredible enough, but the added saltiness was a new, perfect element. This was by far my family's favorite item of the meal, and you MUST order it!

Hallie Goldblatt

Southern Charm

We ordered the Cornbread Muffins which came with creamy, salty butter and spun honey. It was a beautiful, aesthetic assortment. The muffins were crispy on the outside while warm and soft on the inside—and the corn flavor is evident. These muffins were the perfect reminder that we are indeed in the South!

After another order of banana bread, my brother, dad, and I shared The Standard with scrambled eggs, hashbrown fritters, maple-cured bacon, and a buttermilk biscuit. The hashbrown fritters and biscuit were what made this dish special. The fritters were crunchy on the outside and super soft on the inside. They were also very large—the kitchen definitely doesn't spare you, which is a trait I love. The biscuit was huge as well, almost looking like a cake. It melted in my mouth and every bite made me happier to have access to it, being in Atlanta.

My mom ordered the Grit Bowl, which came with stone ground grits, garlic spinach, roasted tomatoes, and two poached eggs (but you can get them your own way). She has always loved grits, and it was telling that she wiped her bowl clean. She did wish that she had added pimento cheese to get more flavor, so keep that in mind if you plan to order this.

Hallie Goldblatt
Hallie Goldblatt
Hallie Goldblatt

Main Attractions

My brother, dad, and I also shared the Chicken + Waffle. I think this was some of the best chicken I have ever had. The chicken breast was all of my favorite things: juicy with a crispy but light fry, perfectly cooked and spiced, and super flavorful. Whether in this dish, on top of a pancake, or in the Chicken Biscuit, this is a piece you need to try and will definitely leave you with the same reaction my family had. The waffles were also fluffy and delicious, pairing very well with the chicken, with the maple syrup adding the perfect sweetness. 

Hallie Goldblatt

Do I Recommend?

After leaving the restaurant with our stomachs filled to the brim, we all agreed that the two-hour wait was 100% worth it. We entered the rest of our Saturday with a fabulous meal in our stomachs and determination to find the recipe for the Gluten-Free Banana Bread Loaf. We definitely plan to go back to Buttermilk Kitchen, and I recommend you go, too!