Pastries at Sweet Rose

Photo by Sarah Joh

Maybe when you hear “Los Angeles,” you think of sunshine and beaches, not to mention bottles of freshly squeezed, specially concocted, green juice and the kale fervor.

Despite any preconceptions you may have about the eating habits of Angelenos, you can be sure to find edible decadence as you stroll down the stretch of Beverly Blvd that runs through Mid-City LA.

Whether you stumble upon them as you take in the sights of one of LA’s iconic streets or you seek them out with a purposeful vengeance; Milk, Sweet Rose Creamery and Shaky Alibi are three shops specializing in confections you shouldn’t miss.

MILK

Photo by Sarah Joh

Standing out amongst the other shops with its Art-Deco reminiscent exterior, Milk has a variety of meal and drink offerings including soups, sandwiches, and coffee. But if anything, the one product you should make sure to try is its macaron ice cream sandwiches.

Pairing monstrously-sized versions of the popular French cookie with rich ice cream, a perennially favorite treat, Milk offers ice-cream sandwiches in flavors such as blueberry crumble and grasshopper. The pleasantly orange colored Thai tea and red velvet flavored sandwiches happen to be customer favorites.

Photo by Sarah Joh

If macarons are too dainty for you, don’t be disappointed, as you can opt for just ice cream or a sundae, or make a selection from the variety of baked goods Milk also has to offer.

Sweet Rose Creamery

Photo by Sarah Joh

While Milk is an amalgamation of a deli, bakery, and ice cream shop, Sweet Rose Creamery is specifically an ice cream shop priding itself on artisanal, shop-made ice cream concocted from local ingredients. At Sweet Rose, ice cream becomes elevated to an art form accessible to dessert connoisseurs of all ages.

Sweet Rose

Photo by Sarah Joh

It’s bustling, family friendly atmosphere sees customers continually streaming in and out of the shop for a taste of what it has to offer, which seems equally popular between kids and their parents. Chances are that you’ll savor Sweet Rose’s ice cream as well, for both flavor and the love co-owner, Shino Yoshikawa, puts into it. The flavors Sweet Rose offers are determined by what is in season and available at the farmer’s market every Wednesday. Flavors that are currently popular include toasted coconut, guava frozen yogurt, lavender honey, and kiwi sorbet.

Shaky Alibi

Photo by Sarah Joh

Shaky Alibi specializes in Liege waffles that can be ordered plain or with either sweet or savory toppings. Plain waffles? Boring? Not so. Liege waffles are different from their American counterparts you’ll usually found in your typical breakfast restaurants in that they’re lightly caramelized on the outside, due to a delicate dusting of sugar.

Stawberries and cookie butter - Shaky Alibi

Photo by Sarah Joh

Choices of toppings range from Speculoos cookie butter and fresh fruit to bacon and Gruyere cheese.

Photo by Sarah Joh

If you can’t decide on what to top your waffle with, Shaky’s offers a list of favorites, which consists of predetermined flavor combinations, such as The Elvis. Pair your waffle with a cup of coffee for a mid-afternoon treat and nibble away as you people-watch on Beverly Blvd.

Milk

7290 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036

Sweet Rose Creamery

7565 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90036

Shaky Alibi

7401 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036