You heard right. 24 ounces of the highest quality steak available in all of Florida. Shula’s 347 Grill in Tallahassee is featuring this monstrosity through the entire month of November. Sprinkled with salt and pepper, grilled to your requested temperature, lathered with butter, and served with two sides of your choice, it doesn’t get much better than that.

Shula's

Photo by: Stephen Blasetti

#SpoonTip: Hotel Duval valet is FREE when you eat at Shula’s 347 Grill.

But the Porterhouse isn’t the only steak on Shula’s menu being inhaled by meat lovers across North Florida. The entire Shula’s Steakhouse brand is known for their specific cut of meat deemed “The Shula Cut”. With 347 wins, Don Shula knows how to do two things to ultimate perfection: win a football game and serve a cut of beef.

Shula's

Photo by: Stephen Blasetti

The specifications for The Shula Cut go further than those for USDA Prime and Choice. To the average eye, MMUFACT are just a bunch of letters, but at Shula’s it’s the code to life. They know it forwards and backwards, up and down, side to side.

The letters represent the 7 categories of specifications that a cut of meat must meet in order to be served in a Shula’s restaurant. And did I mention less than 1% of all beef can be called a Shula Cut?

Shula's

Photo by: Stephen Blasetti

1. Marbling

In other words, the fatty parts. The Shula Cut only allows a modest to abundant amount of marbling in their steaks, and medium to fine marbling texture.

2. Maturity

9 – 30 months.

Just like high school was your prime, these specific ages for cattle are the prime time to make melt-in-your-mouth beef.

3. Uniformity

No weaklings. Only the cattle with superior muscling get through this category.

Shula's

Photo by: Stephen Blasetti

4. Flavor

It’s gotta taste amazing. Duh.

5. Appearance

No dark coloring. Also, no pimples or bad hair days. These steaks have to look their best at all times.

Shula's

Photo by: Stephen Blasetti

6. Consistency

Consistency, consistency, consistency. Just keep saying it. It’s how The Shula Cut made it’s come up.

7. Tenderness

Unfortunately, The Shula Cut is a tad prejudice against one specific breed of cattle. Okay…maybe a lot prejudice. NO BRAHMAN CATTLE ALLOWED. (They’ve been scientifically proven to not be as tender as other breeds.)

#SpoonTip: If you like the fatty, high marbling content types of meat, get a Ribeye. If you like lean, choose the New York Strip. If you’re into butter-like tenderness, choose the Filet Mignon.

Shula's

Photo by: Stephen Blasetti

There you have it. If you’re like me, your mouth is currently watering and desperate to sink its teeth into a thick, juicy, precisely aged Shula Cut steak. On North Monroe Street, in Hotel Duval, walk through the doors after dropping off your car for complimentary valet and take a sharp right to enter your carnivore paradise.