I heard of Salt + Smoke before I even saw the yellow awnings on the Loop. My friend went there for dinner and came back with rave reviews, so I knew that the restaurant was next on my “Eat Everything in STL Before I Graduate” list. Salt + Smoke offers all types of barbecue items so if you’re not a red meat type of person, not to worry, there are still plenty of dishes to satisfy your meaty, messy cravings.

Salt + Smoke opened this past summer in the restaurant space that used to house Nico, a casual greek restaurant. Although the ownership and location stayed the same, the cuisine and atmosphere made a total 360. Salt +Smoke’s owner Tom Schmidt and his team wanted to take their business in a new direction and decided to invest in in-house smoked and cured meats.  Their smoker is actually located in the back of the restaurant and produces the restaurant’s main attraction: St. Louis style BBQ.

Appetizers range from burnt-end toasted raviolis to hush puppies with maple butter. I started my meal with the fried pickles, which were probably the best fried pickles I’ve ever had… and I’ve eaten quite a few fried pickles in my time. They were served in a variety of sweet and salty spears, chips, gherkins and were perfectly breaded and fried.

Salt + Smoke

Photo by Janey Asher

For the main course, I chose a pulled-chicken sandwich with pimento cheddar and sweet corn relish, which I dipped in one of their three barbecue sauces for an extra flavor. The sandwich roll was buttered and toasted (a must) and was overloaded with a hefty portion of the chicken. Despite its size, I eventually finished the entire monstrous dish.

If you’re feeling like getting down and dirty, the half-rack of St. Louis style ribs is another delicious option. The meat literally fell off the bone, making it hard to eat but made for heavenly flavor.

Salt + Smoke

Photo by Janey Asher

If you’re overwhelmed by the number of mouth-watering options, don’t worry. Salt + Smoke offers deals where you can combine two smaller-portioned entrees for the price of one entrée.

I tried to be healthy so I ordered the green bean and tomato salad as my side and was extremely happy with my choice. The green beans and tomatoes were tossed in a tangy-sweet dressing, giving my veggies a surprising but satisfying flavor. After all that heavy carnage, a simple and light side was definitely a refreshing choice.

Salt + Smoke

Photo by Janey Asher

On the less healthy side, the garlic and herb fries did not disappoint. But let’s be honest – there’s rarely any disappointment when it comes to French fries.

Salt + Smoke

Photo by Janey Asher

Eating barbecue outside on a gorgeous day was definitely the best way I could have spent my Saturday. Salt + Smoke provide a great atmosphere and definitely fits within the typical college student’s budget. It’s a great place for lunch or casual dinner with friends—definitely worth adding to your St. Louis bucket list.

average

Location: 6525 Delmar Blvd, St Louis, MO 63130
Hours of operation: Tues-Thurs 11am to 10pm, Fri-Sun 11am to 11pm, Mon closed