If you’re looking for a great place to take your family for a real taste of Bloomington, look no further than The Runcible Spoon. It’s cozy and homey – maybe because it was a home at one time. This restaurant was converted from a house in 1976 and has been serving Bloomington delicious Irish and American staples ever since. Not only is the food great, but there is a fantastic drink menu as well including wines, local beers, teas and coffee that’s roasted in house. And if you need even more reason to go to the Runcible Spoon (or “The Spoon” as townies call it), it was voted “Best Brunch” in Bloomington’s Spoonie Awards.

Breakfast

Runcible Spoon

Photo by Grace Hwang

If you are in the mood for a classic cafe breakfast, be sure to order the Eggs Benedict. It’s a toasted english muffin topped with ham, cheese, two eggs and a house made hollandaise with a surprising kick. The vegetarian option has two eggs, spinach, cheese, tomato and hollandaise sauce (also on a English muffin). It’s the perfect item for breakfast or Sunday brunch, especially if you’re looking to satisfy your tummy and not hurt your wallet. The best part is that the Eggs Benedict alone will only run you $8.50.

Runcible Spoon

Photo by Marci Weiss

If you’re not a fan of poached egg, go for the pancakes instead ($4-$6). There are dozens of add-ins such as chocolate chips, bananas and walnuts or toppings like fresh fruit. And to make things even better, the pancakes the size of your head! If you are not too hungry, you can grab one and if you are super hungry, order three.

Runcible Spoon

Photo by Emma Hammock

#SpoonTip: Add on a half order (or full order to share) of home fries if you want a fuller breakfast. ($2.95/half order, $4.25/full order)

Lunch

Runcible Spoon

Photo by Marci Weiss

If you’re in the mood for a heartier meal, go for the Spoon Burger, 1/2 lb of Black Angus Beef on a toasted pretzel bun. This American classic is served with a side of seasoned home fries. ($6.95)

#SpoonTip: For vegetarians, try the Black Bean Burger. Same price and equally delicious.

Dinner:

Runcible Spoon

Photo by Amelia Steinmetz

If you’re looking for a taste of the sea with a classy feel go for the Grilled Salmon Salad. A heaping fresh garden salad filled with veggies and apples, then topped with a grilled piece of salmon, served with a vinaigrette. ($11.25)

If Salmon isn’t your forte, try the Gypsy Chicken, grilled chicken breast marinated in savory herbs and served with black beans, sauteed veggies and smashed potatoes for only $7.50.

So the next time you’ve got friends or family in town, be sure to make it down to the Runcible Spoon.