Catch 35 is a seafood restaurant located in the theatre district in downtown Chicago, and it advertises itself as a place that brings fresh, seasonal food to the table. They offer premier seafood and steaks, so a variety of eaters will be satisfied here (however, vegetarian and vegan options are limited). That said, I had a very enjoyable meal here and wanted to share!

Photo Courtesy of Catch 35

I ordered the Chilean sea bass, a signature dish on the menu, and was thoroughly satisfied. The fish has a sweeter flavor due to the Hawaiian ginger scallion sauce that it’s served with and interacts well with the rice and greens served alongside it. The vegetable and starch components change on a regular basis, but it is clear that Catch 35 knows how to build a dish. The texture of the fish was also great; it was tender and flaky enough that it gently melted and fell apart in my mouth.

The portions here are ideal: perfectly sized to leave you satisfied but not overstuffed. And they leave space for dessert, which you will most certainly want to take advantage of.

Photo by Tom Wilberg

The flourless chocolate cake was excellent, boasting a perfect combination of cake and molten chocolate. Again, I’m a huge proponent of ratios, and the ratio here between liquid and solid was spot on. The moment when the outer cake is broken and the liquid chocolate slowly flows onto your spoon is simply incredible. My grandmother, a discerning consumer, had this to say: “This is the best flourless cake — which I take a lot — that I’ve ever had.” There was also a hint of raspberry, which was the ideal tart accent to the rich chocolate and steered clear of the cloying sweetness of some raspberry accents.

Photo by Tom Wilberg

The pecan pie was also wonderful, avoiding the all-too-often-encountered pitfall of overly sugary and syrupy filling. Instead, the pie was filled with a much higher ratio of pecans to syrup than usual, giving the pie a nuttier, slightly lighter flavor. The pie was complimented well by a healthy dose of airy whipped cream and creamy vanilla bean ice cream.

Expensive

Hours of Operation:

Lunch:
Mon. – Fri. 11:30 AM – 2:00 PM

Dinner:
Mon. – Thurs. 5:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Fri. – Sat. 5:00 PM – 10:00 PM
Sun. 4:00 PM – 9:00 PM

Location:
35 W Upper Wacker Dr, Chicago, IL 60601

Check out these other articles!

3 Reasons to Give Square Bar and Grill a Shot

Review: Au Cheval

Review: 25 Degrees