In search of an earthy off-campus oasis or a nutritiously-inclined study space? Craving crazy good biscotti or a killer vegetarian breakfast? You will be as soon as you get your first taste of Cedarhurst Café, the artistic tea-and-coffee shop at 44 Crown.

The petite café is owned by husband-and-wife duo Teri Bernet and Tom Panzella (so we can thank the dating gods — or algorithms of Match.com — for the culinary genius that is Cedarhurst). Formerly Greenwell Café, a vegan and vegetarian eatery, the newly opened Cedarhurst earned its name from the cedar trunk that graces the cash register counter. And as if that weren’t enough — the cedar tree is complimented by three glorious bouncy-ball chairs!

But aside from the decor, the food is pretty great too…Here are some of the treats we recommend:

Cedarhurst

courtesy pinimg.com

Pistachio Chocolate-Chip Biscotti with Jasmine Tea
This cookie packs a sweet but nutty punch and is a perfect accent for any tea (Jasmine just happens to be our favorite). The biscotti is drizzled with a thin layer of chocolate sauce and inlaid with chocolate chips and pistachio pieces — the perfect edible accompaniment for any study break.

Cedarhurst

courtesy wavescoffee.com

White Chocolate Lemon Biscotti with London Fog Latte
Much like its Pistachio-Choc-Chip cohort, this lemon-tinged biscotti is dunked in a white chocolate glaze and serves as a lemony mood-lightener for its caffeinated companion, London Fog. And don’t even get us started on the latte. The drink is practically a liquid cup of European class.

Cedarhurst

photography by Katie Fletcher

Whole Wheat Bread with Avocado, Egg and Red Pepper Flakes
We can’t get over the beauty of this piece of toast. Whole wheat (healthy!) and artistically layered with avocado slices and a fried egg, this snack will fuel you through any study session. Dissect it for a three-part snack or eat it whole (we still can’t really figure out the best way to manage that). Either way, the dish is the perfect way to satisfy your brunch-time cravings.

Cedarhurst

courtesy tumblr.com

Tropic Thunder Smoothie
Loaded with mango, banana, and goji-berries, this smoothie is the ideal energy boost for any cafe-goer. Not only will this tropical beverage quench your thirst, but it’s sugary kick is a wholesome way to knock out anyone’s sweet tooth. Plus, the fact that it’s named after a Ben Stiller movie is enough to earn it a double-take.

cheap
average

Location: 44 Crown Street, New Haven, CT

Hours of Operation: 7:30am to 6pm Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm on Saturday, 9am to 5pm on Sunday

Want a taste of something more? Check out these New Haven hits:
Katalina’s Bakery
Tarry Lodge
Claire’s Corner Copia