Recently opened in Cerritos, CA, Kape Republik is a cute little Filipino café that should definitely be next on your bucket list. From their ube madelines to boba lattes, the innovation and creativity of the owners definitely shine through the menu.

Kape Republik

Photo by Jamie Le

When I first walked into Kape Republik the first thing I thought of was how well decorated the cafe was. Simple, sweet, and modern, it was definitely a café I enjoyed aesthetically.

Moving on to the menu, I felt the need to try every popular item they offered, which was a lot. So I started off with the basics.

Kape Republik

Photo by Jamie Le

1. Caramel Macchiato

Kape Republik

Photo by Jamie Le

Personally, I prefer not to drink coffee because of its strong flavor; however, I was in for a pleasant surprise on the first sip. It was delicious, and the ratio of milk to espresso was perfect. It was surprisingly light compared to other caramel macchiatos I’ve had before, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would definitely recommend this drink to anyone.

2. Melon Tea

Kape Republik

Photo by Jamie Le

Before I even tried the tea, I questioned how it would taste despite all the positive comments. Before I took a sip, I thought the melon flavor wouldn’t come through due to the dark color of the tea, but it’s sweetness was a perfect addition to the drink. The melon tea was unexpectedly delicious and had a very rich, but not overpowering flavor.

3. Boba Latté

Kape Republik

Photo by Jamie Le

As a boba enthusiast, I always refused to mix coffee and boba together because it just doesn’t seem to match. Boy was I in for a shock. The boba was not only made perfectly, but it added a fun factor to a regular latte. The latte itself was almost as strong as a Vietnamese coffee, but the boba’s sweetness balanced out the flavor.

#SpoonTip: Kape Republik allows you to add boba to almost every drink they offer.

4. Ube Crinkles

Kape Republik

Photo by Jamie Le

Ube is often said to be similar to taro, and as someone who never tried ube before, it was possibly the best introduction to it. The pastry is covered with slightly melted powdered sugar, which gives the crinkles a slight crunch, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The crinkle as a whole has the perfect amount of sweetness and is very soft and flavorful inside.

5. Baked Turon

Kape Republik

Photo by Jamie Le

Turon, in Filipino cuisine, is commonly fried like lumpia, which is a Filipino version of a traditional eggroll. Taking a modern twist on turon, Kape Republik does an amazing job of using the banana as a sweetener without it getting bitter. I definitely loved how the insides didn’t make the dessert soggy or mushy, allowing it to maintain its flakiness.

With all these innovative desserts and beverages, Kape Republik should definitely be next on your foodie hit list.