Tired of eating instant noodles for every meal? Does the mere mention of Cup o’ Noodles trigger traumatic memories? Fear not, and join two hungry girls as we begin our quest to discover the best ramen in the Baltimore.

This week, we visited the famous Ejji Ramen — which has been named Best Ramen in Baltimore and is considered one of the 24 Things to Eat in Baltimore Before You Die. Located in the beautiful Belvedere Square, Ejji is a casual ramen joint with access to tons of open seating as well as their own, ten-person bar.

baltimore ramen ejji

Photo by Jennifer Baik

The menu consists of pre-set options for ramen with three broth options: Tonkotsu, Miso, and Laksa Curry Seafood, as well as a make-your-own option for those bold souls unafraid to be creative. If ramen is not what you’re craving, Ejji offers Coconut Rice bowls and various small plates such as Gyoza and a Mac & Cheese Ramen dog.

We went with the make-your-own ramen option and tried two different types of ramen: Tonkotsu and Miso. Tonkotsu ramen broth is made by boiling pork bones in water for at least twenty-four hours while Miso ramen broth is made by simmering miso paste in water for several hours.

baltimore ramen ejji

Photo by Jennifer Baik

The make-your-own bowl comes with four customizable categories: broth, noodles, two free toppings, and a separate sauce for seasoning. Both bowls we tried had regular ramen-style noodles and, through the recommendation of our server, we picked a sauce of black sesame oil for the Tonkotsu and the Green Sambal for the Miso.

Each bowl came with a few set toppings, including scallions and spinach. In addition, we added pork belly and a poached egg to both bowls. Extra toppings included kimchi in the Tonkotsu ramen, which served as a spicy kick to the hearty broth, and corn in the Miso bowl, which balanced the savory paste with sweet undertones.

Both bowls were undoubtedly delicious. Neither was too salty, and both were savory without being too greasy. The noodles were cooked well, and the crispy pork melted in our mouths. They were out of miso egg when we went, but the poached egg served as a surprising replacement with a runny yolk that added to the already flavorful broth.

baltimore ramen ejji

Photo by Jennifer Baik

Ejji is also super college-student-friendly, with a 10% student discount on Thursdays (sure to please both your stomach and your wallet) as well as a weekly Instagram giveaway where you could win a free bowl of delicious ramen (#EatEjji).

With friendly service, friendly pricing, and amazing food, Ejji is a delicious and affordable place to get your next ramen fix.

Visit Ejji’s website for more information, and be sure to follow them on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.

Join us next time as we go to Mi & Yu Noodle Bar; where we will be sure to slurp up enough noodles to satisfy both me and you.