Last week, I had the opportunity to attend the PLNT Burger launch at INK Block. As someone with primarily plant-based diet, I had high hopes, and PLNT Burger did not disappoint. But first, let's start with..

The Story

Neeti Desai

Since most of my family is vegetarian, we're always trying new plant-based meat substitutes at home, and veggie burgers are one of our favorite quick, easy, go-to meals.

From experience, I believe that if you're on a mostly or completely vegetarian/vegan diet, it can be difficult to find filling meatless options, especially at fast food restaurants. This is why I was beyond excited to try PLNT Burger for the first time. Co-founded by Spike Mendelsohn, this fast-casual burger restaurant is completely plant-based, from burgers to nuggets to desserts. Their mission is to create sustainable, healthy, plant-based food that's good for the environment and good for you - and spread inclusivity, positivity, and kindness while doing it. 

The Experience

Neeti Desai

PLNT Burger's newest location is inside Whole Foods, and is the first thing you see walking in. There was a huge crowd of people waiting for the opening as a DJ played outside the entrance, but what struck me the most was how friendly and upbeat everyone was. PLNT stands for Positivity, Learning, Nourishment and Togetherness, and the atmosphere embodied these values. 

Since we were one of the first fifty people in line, we were able to get our burgers for free at the opening! Our burgers looked SO good that multiple Whole Foods shoppers asked where they came from, and I saw people stopping by for a bite before and after they did their grocery runs.

The Food

Neeti Desai

I've honestly never seen such a variety of meatless sandwiches and burgers, and there were a ton of menu options that I'm eager to try, such as the Mushroom BBQ Bacon Burger and the Crispy Chik'N Sandwich! They even had oat milk based soft serve AND milkshakes.

I ordered the regular PLNT Burger. From the first bite, the burger was soft AND juicy, the perfect twist on an American classic and one of the best vegan burgers I've ever had. But it wasn't just the burger. The tomato and lettuce were both fresh and the bun was soft as well, which isn't always the case for fast food burgers. 

I also ordered a side of sweet potato fries and an organic mandarin cardamom refresher. The sweet potato fries were perfect, and I honestly regret getting a small instead of a large. They were crisp and sprinkled with sea salt without being overly greasy, and overall, a perfect complement to the meal. It can be tough to find a good plant based burger - they can easily become dry and chewy, and some lack distinctive flavors. PLNT Burger, however, does not fall into that category, and since it's only short T ride from Northeastern, I can see myself coming here again and again!

Overall Thoughts

I've already recommended this restaurant to several vegetarian friends and family members who struggle to find meatless fast food options. Even if you're diet is not completely plant based, however, I still think it's a great choice if you're looking for a more nutritious version of your typical burger and fries. 

Neeti Desai