1. Horse Listener’s Orchard (Ashford)

Horse Listener’s Orchard is a 153 acre property located 20 minutes away from the UConn campus. This family owned and operated orchard boasts over 10 varieties of apples to choose from over the course of the fall harvest season! In addition to apple picking, their on-site farm store sells candy, seeds, flowers, syrups, pies, wool blankets and fresh eggs. In the summer months Horse Listener’s Orchard offers blueberry and peach picking. Overall, this location has a quaint and nostalgic feel and is definitely worth a visit.

2. Wright's Orchard (Tolland)

Founded in 1981, Wright’s Orchard and Fresh Farm Stand is a great location for pick-your-own apples and pumpkins during the fall months. They have over 2,000 trees and 20 varieties of apples available for picking. Additionally, their website is a great resource to find a list of each variety of apple and their descriptions, as well as recipes you can use them in. The farm stand sells mums, gourds, apple cider, fruits, all natural pies and apple donuts, just to name a few!

3. Buell's Orchard (Eastford)

Buell’s Orchard was founded in 1889 and is still family owned and operated. This beautiful location hosts apple picking is open every day between Labor Day and late October. In their farm store you can find apple cider, local maple syrup, cook books, t-shirts, and many other treats. Every Columbus Day Weekend Buell’s Orchard hosts a Harvest Festival that includes live music, hayrides, pumpkin and apple picking, free samples, and best of all---there’s no admission fee! 

4. Lapsley Orchard (Pomfret)

Lapsley Orchard has a long history of food production dating back to colonial times. The land was purchased by Israel Putnam (sound familiar, UConn students?) in 1750, and operates today as a sustainable fruit and vegetable farm. This orchard offers pick-your-own apples, blueberries, pumpkins, and flowers. They sell fresh apple cider donuts on the weekends and give free hayrides through the orchard on Sunday. On Columbus Day Weekend they host a festival with food, music, and cider-making demonstrations! Lapsley Orchard is less than a 30 minute drive from UConn. 

5. Johnny Appleseed’s Farm (Ellington)

This farm is open daily for apple picking from mid-August until late October, weather permitting. They offer free tractor rides to the orchards on the weekend. All of the trees at Johnny Appleseed’s Farm are dwarf trees, so the apples are easy to reach and no climbing is necessary. Over 14 varieties of apples are available for picking, and their website provides yummy recipes for apple crisp and apple squares. According to their website, this farm grows many other local favorites including tomatoes, winter squash, sweet corn, and pumpkins galore. 

6. Dondero Orchard (Glastonbury)

Dondero Orchard has pick-your-own apples and a farm stand with baked goods. In past years they have won awards for their pestos, pickles, and jams. The orchard has 10+ varieties of apples, including Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, and Macintosh, as well as several pear varieties. It is approximately a 30 minute drive from UConn.