Pizza, a college staple. I think during my freshman year I ate pizza once a week. However, at 1am very rarely did my freshman self explore the vast options Harrisonburg had to offer. So, as my meals have begun to be more expansive and my dinner time earlier, I have come to find and love some of the best pizza places in the Harrisonburg area. 

But which one is the best? I employed some friends to help me conduct this experiment through a blind taste test. And as every good 'scientist' does, I will explain my methods.

I had them sample 4 cheese pizzas from 4 different places here in the valley without knowing where it was from. I then had them rank each slice on a scale of 1-4 based on the pizza's crust, sauce and cheese. The scores then were totaled up and a winner was decided. Without further ado, here are the results...

4th Place: Vito's Italian Kitchen 

pizza, dough, crust, cheese, mozzarella, sauce, pepperoni, tomato, pie, pastry, ham
Madison Pessel
A solid choice for pizza, but didn't quite match up to our first place winner. The crust was one of best attributes of the pizza, a perfect combo of crunch and soft chewy dough. 

3rd Place: Benny Sorrentino's

pizza, chicken, crust, cheese, mozzarella, pepperoni, sauce
Madison Pessel

Benny's is one of my personal favorites. Their insane portions and relatively low prices are a college student's dream meal. My taste testers loved the ample portions of cheese and easily confirmed it as one of the best drunk foods. 

2nd Place: Bella Luna

pizza, spinach, mozzarella, tomato, dough
Madison Pessel
Packed full of flavor with fresh ingredients. This farm to table pizza place has great ingredients that make you feel better about eating that one extra slice. 

The Winner: Franco's

pizza, pepperoni, crust, dough, mozzarella, cheese, salami, sauce, pie, tomato
Madison Pessel

One of the most inexpensive out of them all, my taste testers loved the cheese to sauce ratio. The crust was perfect amount of chewy and crunch. It was also thought to be the most generous with the amount of cheese on each slice.

This pizza is totally worthy of pizza leftovers after late nights... The best part is that they now deliver and are a short walk from East Campus

There you have it, some of the best pizza in the JMU area. Did I miss your favorite place? Let me know your favorite go-to pizza.