Pumpkins filled with cheesy gnocchi, warm lattes with dreamy designs on top, and an atmosphere cozy enough to make you feel right at home. Almost sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it? Lucky for you, this heavenly place is real, and it’s located right in Pittsburgh’s Strip District. DiAnoia’s Eatery opened exactly two years ago and has proven to be an impressive establishment with dishes that taste even better than they look. They are open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, they have a bar and deli, and they are currently expanding to include an upstairs events space as well as a take-out pizza counter.

Kelly Gresh

Their most beloved dishes include cacio e pepe (spaghetti, grana padano, pecorino romano, and black pepper), gnocchi – sorrentina style (potato gnocchi in a bread bowl with mozzarella, pecorino romano, basil, and red sauce), and branzino (European sea bass served with roasted potatoes and tomatoes). I also highly recommend the house marinated olives, the fresh bread with oil and parmigiana reggiano, seared provolone (crusty bread, aged provolone, and hot and sweet peppers in oil), and chiatarra pesto (Kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, whipped ricotta), and tiramisu for dessert.

Gnocchi bread bowl and cacio e pepe:

Kelly Gresh
Kelly Gresh

Mid-way through dinner, I realized that not only was the food incredible, but the service was amazing as well - our waiter was super attentive and friendly (qualities appreciated by every restaurant-goer). The best part of the whole experience was getting to talk to the two owners, Dave and Aimee Anoia. My sister and I sat down with them before dinner to talk about the restaurant, cooking, and our love for food (look out for Erin’s article with the interview coming soon!). While talking with them, it was evident just how passionate they are about providing high-quality food at affordable prices as well as a cozy and enticing environment for all of their customers (I mean, what could be more enticing than a giant neon green ‘spaghetti’ sign??). Dave and Aimee are two innovative foodies who are committed to serving only the best and most amazing dishes (e.g. gnocchi in pumpkins during the ~Halloween szn~). The DiAnoia’s menu changes frequently (with the exception of a few most-popular dishes), so there will always be something new and amazing to satisfy your taste buds with, and without breaking the bank. DiAnoia’s is also the perfect place to go if you want to try several menu items and split them with someone else. The portions are generous (just the way I like it), and no matter how you split it, you’ll probably end up with leftovers to keep your stomach happy for the rest of the week.

Erin and I left with food babies bigger than we’ve ever had before (thank goodness I planned ahead and wore leggings that day). We’re already planning our next trip to DiAnoia’s, but, in the meantime, I’ll be dreaming of that gnocchi bread bowl.