Located on the way to Spanish class on Avenue du Parc, Pikolo Espresso Bar sits and evokes the quintessential hipster vibe most McGill students seek out to complete papers, study for tests, or meet up for a quick coffee.

Its location on Parc, one of the most bustling streets of Montreal and right on the edge of the McGill Ghetto, allows for passersby to easily access the café and fill their cup of morning Joe on the way to class.

pikolo

Photo by Helena Lin

For a moderate price of around $8, I satisfied my caffeine craving and hunger with a chai latte and buttery scone.

pikolo

Photo by Sophie Noel

Personally, what sets a café apart from the rest is the baked goods and whether their buttery-ness and fluffiness will have me coming back for more. I must say, though the selection was scarce and the muffin size disappointed my super-sized, American attitude, the scones hit the spot.

I ordered an apple and cheddar scone, which was perfectly fluffy with just the right balance between the apple flavor and cheese flavor-not too potent and not too sweet.

pikolo

Photo by Sophie Noel

I also was able to try the orange and cranberry scone, which was just as flavorful, and balanced the perfect equilibrium between sweetness and tanginess. Both scones had the perfect outside crust, enabling a minor crunch upon taking that initial bite.

Paired with my scone, I ordered a chai latte with soy milk, which completely met my satisfaction—though I am content with a chai latte anywhere and everywhere.

My favorite part of Pikolo, though, is the café itself and its layout. There are multiple seating arrangements—along the windows, tables for two along the walls, in the back for larger groups, and my favorite: the upstairs, which overlooks the entire café.

The comfortable-cozy and hipster ambiance will undoubtedly continue to have coffee drinkers and students alike flocking to Pikolo.