Originally a tiny beer storage closet in Williamsburg, Pies N’ Thighs has earned its title as an award-winning restaurant for authentic southerners and hipster northerners alike. With fresh ingredients and house-baked breads and pastries inspired by the slow food movement, Pies has been serving up some of the heartiest soul food in NYC since 2006.

Voted the best doughnut, apple pie, biscuits, and fried chicken in New York, it’s safe to say that this place is pretty unmatched. And it actually just got better (and closer).

Manhattan

Photo by Grace Angus

Not only is this Brooklyn gem still serving up fried goodness on the other side of the water, but they recently have a new spot in Manhattan on the Lower East Side. Tucked away in a corner of Chinatown on Canal Street, the new joint has a fresher feel. They are serving up the same menu items as in BK, also with the addition of a few new dishes that my dining buddies and I were SO excited to try.

When we walked into the newly renovated restaurant, we immediately took in the wooden booths, authentic southern tiled floors, open-line kitchen, and the original counter stools sported in the Brooklyn location 10 years ago. The smell in Pies N’ Thighs is an intoxicating mixture of their famous fried food and plain old southern comfort, which we definitely couldn’t complain about.

Manhattan

Photo by Grace Angus

We gawked at the menu while our smiley and attentive waiter started us with biscuits with honey butter and hot pepper jelly to share. When you go, be sure to order some of Pies N’ Thighs’ most popular items: the thick and spicy mac n’ cheese side, classic chicken n’ waffles served with cinnamon butter and maple cranberry sauce, the creamy sausage gravy, killer home fries with rosemary and cilantro, or, my personal favorite, the “hippie banjo” (egg, hippie cheddar, avocado, tomato, sprouts, and mayo on house baked toasted anadama bread).

Manhattan

Photo by Grace Angus

And, don’t forget, THE BISCUITS. If everyone in the world ate one I’m almost positive we’d attain world peace because everyone would be too happy to fight. Start preparing your appetite for this weekend’s brunch plans, because you are in for a feast of indulgence. A fulfilling southern meal is just a (shorter) subway ride away.

Manhattan

Photo by Grace Angus

Seriously? You haven’t tried chicken and waffles yet? Check this out: