Little does the average college student know that Penguin Ed’s, known for its barbeque and hundreds of penguin trinkets, serves breakfast on Saturday and Sundays at their location on Mission Boulevard. I was very skeptical at first, wondering if I was going to be served eggs mixed with pork and barbeque sauce. I remember asking my friends, “I don’t know what’s happening; am I eating barbeque for breakfast?”

When I ventured to Penguin Ed’s, I immediatly noticed the pastries behind a glass counter and the distinct smell of brewing coffee. I found the penguins starring at me from every corner humorous as I waited in line to order (I didn’t realize I walked into the film Happy Feet). I ordered Ed’s Breakfast Plate: two eggs, home fries, bacon, and a pancake, and it was only $6.50! Now the question remained, would the food live up to the “mainstream” breakfast restaurants, Arsaga’s and the Farmer’s Table? So far, the wait was significantly shorter at Penguin Ed’s and the prices were better. In my opinion, Penguin Ed’s seemed like it might give Arsaga’s and the Farmer’s Table a run for their money.

Penguin

Photo by London Farrar

My food arrived shortly, and I was pleased to see a large pancake, a generous serving of eggs, two browned slices of bacon, and a hearty helping of breakfast potatoes. The pancake was fluffy and soft, comparable to the Farmer’s Table’s pancakes, and the eggs had that “homemade” style that reminded me of breakfast on Saturday mornings at my grandma’s house.

I fancy weekend mornings spent out with friends sipping cups of coffee and eating food, so I was shocked that Penguin Ed’s was not one of our usual options for brunching! Now with the sweet knowledge of the eggs, pancakes, and cinnamon rolls that await me on Mission Boulevard, Penguin Ed’s is at the top of my list for breakfast.

Penguin

Photo by London Farrar