milk, cappuccino, tea, espresso, coffee
Grace Nguyen

If you haven't been to Pearl Cup yourself, you've probably seen their Instagram-worthy coffee from your friends. So grab your wallet, camera, and textbooks, and come find out what everyone's talking about.

The "Romantic" Atmosphere

“My first impression of Pearl Cup was that it was cute and cozy. The photogenic appearance is appealing because it makes me feel like I’m in a romance movie.” - Simi, UTD neuroscience major (pictured above)

Simi, like many other customers, goes to Pearl Cup on a weekly basis. The overall vibe is just one of the reasons people like herself keep coming back. The local and artsy ambiance makes you feel like you aren't in Richardson anymore. 

coffee, cappuccino, milk, espresso, mocha, cream, chocolate
Grace Nguyen

Pictured above is their chai latte, and I don't want to get you too excited, but multiple people have declared this to be the "best chai [they've] ever had." 

Just kidding, get excited! Both the chai latte and the romantic aura are just a few minutes away.

Emma, an ATECH major at UTD, says her reason for coming back is because "it's always amazing. [She doesn't] have a car so it's biking/bus distance. [Her] go-to drink is the chai - they have the best one around." 

The best chai latte? Guess you'll have to go and decide for yourself. 

The People

I don't know what it is about Pearl Cup, but it attracts some of the friendliest people; it's one more thing to love about it. Just the other week, I struck up a lengthy conversation with the guy sitting next to me. And when my friend couldn't reach an outlet the other day, a person helped her out (even though she was just being lazy).

On top of that, there are an abundance of "regulars." They say that the people make the place, and this is no exception for Pearl Cup.

pastry, cake, chocolate, cookie, sweet, pie, goody, cream, candy
Grace Nguyen

Above is their chocolate chip coffee cake to pair with your coffee and share with a good friend.

Ian, a barista at Pearl Cup for about 2 years, says he likes working there because of the atmosphere. "The people that come in are like a community. [He has] worked at other coffee shops but none of them have this same quality of people," 

Studying & Sipping

coffee
Brooklynne Palmer

My favorite thing about Pearl Cup is its studious atmosphere. They play music just loud enough, but not too loud to where it distracts you. If I want to be productive, it's my preferred place to go.

(But make sure your laptop is charged; only some tables have outlets near them).

coffee, tea, sweet, jam
Grace Nguyen

Above is their cold brew - perfect for Texas summer days. Don't drink it black unless that's how you usually take your coffee. The bitterness of this coffee takes each one of your taste buds for a wild ride. I personally like a nice, intense brew, but it's not for everyone.

Pearl Cup gets their coffee from Eiland coffee roasters; located right here in Richardson! Read their story here. 

Drinks can be a bit pricey, but they are clearly worth it as many people keep coming back for more. Regardless, it's a nice way to treat yourself. A few bucks for a heart-shaped latte after an O-Chem exam can warm any cold spirit.

Liquid Art

You won't want to take a sip until you've captured the beauty of these drinks. After all, you don't find coffee art like this just anywhere. But once you've posted on your Snapchat story, go crazy and sip away.

coffee, tea, cake, chocolate
Grace Nguyen

Pictured above is their mocha latte with almond milk. Grace, a fellow Spoon member, said the nutty flavor was very intense at first, but it eventually grew on her. For me, it felt like I was drinking hot chocolate with a splash of coffee—I loved it!

coffee, cappuccino, milk, espresso, cream, mocha
Grace Nguyen

They have everything from a plain cup of Joe to cappuccinos, but one drink you won't find anywhere else is their Pearl latte (pictured above). They claim "it tastes like a richer sweeter vanilla latte." But don't bother asking what's in it. It's a secret, according to a sign inside the shop (if you've been there, you know what I'm talking about). 

beer, coffee, tea, beans, cake
Grace Nguyen

If you needed another reason to give it a try, UTD students get 10% off their entire order just by showing their Comet Card (which may not seem like a lot, but if you come back for seconds...and thirds, it'll add up). On top of that, they have a rewards system—just ask the barista.

Starbucks may be a diamond, but Pearl Cup is Richardson's hidden gem. Though don't take my word for it, check it out for yourself today!