I’ve always pondered about the Pastry Peddler Bakery & Café on the corner of the  State and Packard. I often find myself crossing the hectic five-way intersection and passing its cheery sign. But as with any never-before-entered territory, I approached with caution and insecurity.  What if there are no tables? What if the regulars give me a dirty look?  So each time I peered in, but never entered.

pastry peddler

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

That is, until one morning, when my friend came over baring the butteriest, flakiest of croissants. The freshly-baked breakfast pastry crumbled in my mouth, the sensations of soft and doughy in perfect balance with the initial crunch of the flaky, outside layer. I had entered a croissant heaven.

“Where is this from?” I asked incredulously, bits of buttery flakes sticking to my bottom lip.

“Pastry Peddler.” I now knew I had to enter.

Pastry Peddler has been around for five years, occupying a small space with minimal indoor and outdoor seating. However, unlike Starbucks, Pastry Peddler is not known as a great study spot to sit with your laptop. Rather it’s known as Ann Arbor’s coveted supplier of fresh baked goods. In fact, it is in Pastry Peddler’s very own bakery, that baked goods are freshly made and delivered to various coffee-shop locations around town, such the big chains and other smaller shops like Comet Coffee in Nickel’s Arcade and Mighty Good Coffee on Main St.

pastry peddler

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

Pastry Peddler is most famous for its croissants – be it plain, chocolate or almond, or a sandwich stuffed to the brim with homemade chicken salad, egg salad, or turkey and cheese. Pair it with a steaming cup of coffee or tea, and you’ve got yourself the ideal grab-n-go breakfast. Pastry Peddler also serves breakfast pasties, stuffed with meat or veggie options, making for a popular game-day eat. But beware of obscure hours: because it’s catered to morning-time eats, it’s only open until 3 pm Monday-Saturday and until 1 pm on Sundays.

pastry peddler

Photo by Alison Weissbrot

When I asked the staff what they believe makes a small, independent bakery like Pastry Peddler better than a big-name coffee shop, the answer was simple.

“Quality ingredients make a huge difference with something so basic like a croissant,” the barista explained. And I must agree: Pastry Peddler lacks nothing in quality.

Now that I have experienced its homemade authenticity, I regret not having gone in earlier. So here’s to venturing into new territories– you never know what you’re missing until you try.

cheap

Location: 619 Packard St, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104

Hours of operation: Mon-Fri: 6am-3pm, Sat: 7am-3pm, Sun: 8am-1pm