Pure Raw Juice on York Road is a frequented hotspot for Loyola students searching for their fix of fresh flavors. With a menu that consists of various bowls, juices, smoothies and snacks, it can be overwhelming to choose and customers tend to stick to the basics. Last week Spoon Loyola had the pleasure of taste tasting and photographing every bowl and juice on the menu at Pure Raw’s new location in Hampden. After meticulous thought and rankings from 10 different Spooners, here are our favorites from each category. 

Sarah Raymond

BOWLS

Hawaiian Açaí Bowl (Ranking: 10/10)

Taking first place out of the 8 bowls that we tasted, the Hawaiian was the crowd favorite from all 10 of us. Pure Raw's açaí base consists of açaí, banana and apple juice, which is simple and sweet. The toppings on this bowl were our favorite because they collectively brought in tropical flavors that weren't boring or over the top. Topped with chopped kiwi, shredded coconut, diced mango and granola, we were brought straight to the beach. This bowl is known to boost energy levels with its high levels of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. The açaí berry is rich in omega and fatty acids, which makes it an overall healthy and sweet alternative. 

Sarah Raymond

Traditional Açaí Bowl (Ranking: 9/10)

Taking second place on our list is the traditional açaí bowl which, like the name, is a classic. Pure Raw Juice first-timers who like to play it safe typically order this bowl , making it a crowd favorite. It's an açaí base topped with strawberries, blueberries, banana, coconut, honey and granola. We immediately noticed that the largest difference between this bowl and the Hawaiian is that it's less sweet. It has similar affects as the Hawaiian bowl too, but the traditional is also known to lower cholesterol. 

Sarah Raymond

Electric Pink Pitaya Bowl (Ranking: 8.5/10)

Our favorite of the pitaya bowl options, the Electric Pink is a great bowl for those who want something sweet. Pitaya, also known as dragon fruit, makes for a sweeter base than açaí. To add to that, this bowl is topped with bee pollen, diced mango, blueberries, and granola. Bee pollen is crunchy and very sweet, with a strong honey flavor to it. Ultimately our group was split between liking and disliking bee pollen, moving it down on our list. Pitaya is full of vitamins, nutrients, protein, calcium, fiber and antioxidants. This bowl is known for lowering blood sugar and blood pressure, strengthening bones and building your immune system.

Extra Notes...

As a group we weren’t the biggest fans of the green bowls across the board, but some of us really loved them! These bowls are far less sweet than any of the other pitaya or açaí based bowls, and they have an earthy flavor to them. We tried the Matcha Mango Green Bowl and the Omega Blast green bowl, whose toppings are less sweet like their bases. Toppings for these include blueberries, pumpkin seeds and cow nips. There are also bowls with protein mixed into the bases, which include the Health Nut Pitaya Bowl and the Protein Blast Acai Bowl. Some of us really liked how they aren’t as sweet because the protein works to decrease the flavor from the base.

Sarah Raymond

JUICES

Rehydrate (Ranking: 10/10)

Out of the 18 juices that we tried at Pure Raw, our favorite was the Rehydrate. Made with young Thai coconut water, cucumber, pineapple and kale, we all loved how simple and fresh this juice is. The pineapple and coconut flavors work together to bring out a sweet flavor, and the cucumber and kale keep it mellow. Rehydrate is great for hydrating your entire body, including your skin and hair. It's great for hangovers and helps with weight loss and digestion. 

Sarah Raymond

Orange Juice (Ranking: 10/10)

While it's a very basic juice on the menu, we all couldn't believe how amazing Pure Raw's Orange Juice is. We all agreed that it tastes like biting into a fresh orange, without the seeds. It's simple, it's a classic, and it's completely pulp-free. 

Heart Beet (Ranking: 9/10)

Our favorite part of the Heart Beet is that it's neither too sweet or too acidic, which is a struggle in fresh-pressed juices. A lot of ingredients go in to make it this way, including apple, beet, carrot, celery, lemon and ginger root. We love beets, and we love the flavor that we get from this juice. Heart Beet is a great source of iron, it detoxes your liver, and lowers blood pressure. 

Sarah Raymond

Caramel Cafe au Lait (Ranking: 8.5/10)

Caramel Cafe au Lait was our favorite among the coffee options at Pure Raw. All of the coffee options are dairy free and full of flavor, and the caramel was our favorite. We loved that the coffee can stand on its own and doesn't taste like it needs to be mixed in with anything else. Caramel Cafe au Lait consists of organic trade cold brewed coffee, Pure Raw's homemade Cashew Mylk and organic caramel syrup. This drink is 100% organic and is low in sugar. Cold brew coffee is 70% less acidic than hot coffee, making this drink a great alternative. It's full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and calcium.

Greenlight (Ranking: 8/10)

Our final favorite drink of the many that we tried is the Greenlight juice. Greenlight consists of pineapple, orange, and Pure Raw's wheatgrass shot. This juice is sweet and spicy, making it stand out among the rest. While it has a different smell, Greenlight tastes amazing and is incredibly good for you too. A shot of wheatgrass is equivalent to 2.5lbs of vegetables, giving you enough servings of greens and protein for a day.

Sarah Raymond

Extra Notes...

Across the board we tried a variety of juices ranging from your standard items to shots, coffee and kombucha. We tried the flu shot and wheatgrass shot, which are both spicy and strong. We liked them both in terms of a quick pick-me-up, but the flavors of the other juices were more enjoyable for us. We all agreed that the Caramel Café was the favorite of the coffees, compared to the Cashew Mylk and Hazelnut Café. The kombucha’s were all great and very similar in terms of their strong vinegar flavors, but were just short of making the list. The Apple Spice Kombucha was our favorite among them.

Sarah Raymond

We had such an amazing time putting on this event with Pure Raw Juice, and are all so happy that we were able to expand our horizons with their menu. After trying all of the bowls and juices, we were all pleasantly surprised by what we liked the most. The new location at the Rotunda is just a 5-minute drive from Loyola's campus, and is absolutely worth it. The space is well decorated and has plenty of seating to use as your next study spot. The Rotunda is a hustling and bustling shopping area with plenty of outdoor seating as well, making it the perfect place to visit in these warmer months. We're all looking  forward to our next visit, and we hope to see you there!

Sarah Raymond