Love for pizza is universal, and what you put on top of your slice matters. OTTO Pizza doesn’t just serve basic toppings; they serve the ones you wouldn’t normally think of. And the best part is, they taste divine.

But first, get to know the two masterminds behind their creative creations.

Throwing it back to 2009 

10 years ago, Anthony Allen and Mike Keon met in Haverhill, Massachusetts as owners of respective restaurants. Both often conversed about Allen’s background as a pizza-maker in Nantucket and Keon’s job in as a cook in fishing boats that traveled along the coasts of Alaska. After exchanging a whirlwind of exciting stories about their past adventures, they forged a lasting friendship and decided to open a restaurant together, combining their passion for food and entrepreneurial spirit. So they set out to Portland, Maine and opened the first-ever OTTO Pizza location.

The dynamic duo now double as owners and chefs of the restaurant chain. OTTO Pizzas are exclusively sold in two neighboring states: Maine and Massachusetts. 

Qinyue (Sherry) Zheng

If you know Italian, you probably would have guessed that the word “otto” translates to the number eight in English. Allen and Keon chose this deliberately, explaining that there are “eight slices to a pizza.” Look closely next time you’re in a OTTO Pizza location, and you will see that they follow the tradition in every pie baked.

So, what really makes OTTO Pizza distinct from other pizza chains?

Bask in the natural light as you enter the tiled and wooden establishment and take a minute to peruse the menu. You’ll see a range of tempting choices and ingredients that you might not see in other typical pizza restaurants. “Pulled Pork and Mango” and “Buffalo Cauliflower, Scallion and Blue Cheese” might strike as odd when listed together, but taste unbelievably good in your mouth. You’re certainly in for a fun treat.

Qinyue (Sherry) Zheng

While you’re there, you can’t miss out on OTTO Pizza’s star pizza “Mashed Potato, Bacon and Scallion.” It was featured in Food Network Magazine’s 50 States, 50 Pizzas list, making it a go-to for many customers. 

Qinyue (Sherry) Zheng

For those who want to play it safe, OTTO Pizza also offers the traditional Margherita or the “Four Cheese,” an innovative spin on the usual cheese slice topped with a blend of ricotta, fontina, asiago and mozzarella. You clearly can’t go wrong with whatever you choose to order. 

Out of the ordinary

To spice things up, OTTO Pizza serves new, ever-changing monthly pie specials. This way, you’ll have a reason to keep coming back.

This June is a special time for the restaurant as it marks OTTO Pizza’s 10th anniversary. Allen and Keon debut the “Lobster Mash” to mark the celebratory month, blending the savory flavors of lobster meat on top of the classic “Mashed Potato, Bacon and Scallion” pie and a nod to the rich history of lobster in New England.

Now you should visit one of the 13 locations to try all for yourself. Maybe you’ll end up taking a couple of pies home and return for more.