Ever since I arrived in Montreal, I had been meaning to go to Olive & Gourmando. With 419 reviews and a 4 1/2 star rating overall, this restaurant is currently rated “3rd in the Best of Yelp: Montreal” category, and for good reason. Finally after two years of pining, I finally made it to the restaurant twice this fall.

olive & gourmando

Photo by Helena Lin

Located in the heart of Old Montreal on Rue St. Paul, it’s easy to write off Olive & Gourmando as another tourist trap, however the restaurant is far from it. Serving breakfast and lunch food, O&G is warm, welcoming, and a great way to start off your weekend.

#SpoonTip: I recommend arriving at around 10:30-10:45 am so you can get a choice between the breakfast and lunch menu without having to wait for an hour as well. 

The Ambience

olive & gourmando

Photo by Helena Lin

Every time I have been to Olive & Gourmando, the restaurant has been packed and extremely lively. As you enter the restaurant, you are instantly hit with the aroma of brewing coffee and freshly baked pastries. All the baked goods are made in house daily, while the coffee beans are provided by Pilot, a coffee roaster in Toronto.

olive & gourmando

Photo by Helena Lin

The environment at O&G is warm and homey with rustic wooden decor and playful chalkboard menus. Amidst the organized chaos, the staff is always friendly and attentive to your needs.

The Sandwiches

Over my two meals at O&G, I have been able to sample five of their sandwiches, three hot sandwiches and two cold sandwiches. To begin, the bread used is always on point — extremely crusty on the outside while soft and chewy on the inside.

Now let’s talk about the good stuff — the fillings.

1. “Poached Egg On Your Face” – $13.95

olive & gourmando

Photo by Helena Lin

My biggest pet peeve is when a dish is said to be spicy when in actuality there is no element of spice. This sandwich is not the case and takes eggs and bacon to the next level. The spicy poached eggs pack a punch and are balanced out by the creaminess of the Comté cheese, mayonnaise, and brightness of the herbs.

2. Cajun Chicken – $11.95

olive & gourmando

Photo by Helena Lin

This sandwich is loaded with vibrant colours and flavours — the guacamole is creamy, the pineapple is sweet and tangy, the tomato is meaty and juicy. Top it off with beautifully cooked chicken with cajun spices and you have a winning sandwich.

3. Viva Las Vegan – $10.50

olive & gourmando

Photo by Helena Lin

For all you veg heads out there, this sandwich is for you. If I had to rank the sandwiches, Viva Las Vegan definitely would not take home the gold medal, however I enjoyed the briny olives, sweet caramelized onion hummus, and tangy dill pickles used to boost the roasted tofu.

4. The Pomme – $11.95

O/G 3

What sets this sandwich apart from the rest is the homemade walnut butter that is lathered on. The nuttiness of the butter along with the tart apple slices balances the flavours of the ham perfectly. Every other bite the sweetness of the garlic vinaigrette also shines thorough.

5. The Cubain – $11.95

O/G 2

From the roasted pork and pancetta to the melted Gruyère cheese, this sandwich is definitely what I would call a flavour bomb. As much as I enjoyed this sandwich, I would love tho have tasted a bit more of the lime and cilantro for that punch of brightness as well.

The Brioche

1. Maple Pecan Brioche – $4.50

olive & gourmando

Photo by Helena Lin

When I can’t decide what to order (which happens ALOT), I always ask the waiter what their favourite item is. This maple pecan brioche was selected by our friendly waiter. The brioche is buttery, nutty, and not overly sweet. It is also topped with a citrus glaze that adds just a hint of tartness.

2. Apple Chai Brioche – $4.50

olive & gourmando

Photo by Helena Lin

Of the two, the apple chai brioche was definitely the winner in my eyes. What I love about this brioche is the robust cardamom flavour, warm fall spices, and tart apples. The apple chai brioche is also much sweeter, making it more dessert than breakfast.

olive & gourmando

Photo by Helena Lin