Founder of Oaklee Distilling Co. Lee Browne understands the value of creating spirits completely different from everything else on the market. With his first product, Boots Vodka, he’s crafted a totally unique vodka by sourcing local ingredients, proofing to Troop Strength and creating a brand that’s tailored to individuals who live a rugged and adventurous lifestyle.

Cara Hutto

Browne didn’t grow up dreaming about starting his own distillery. Born and raised in Raleigh, the North Carolina native attended UNC-Chapel Hill and studied communications and history. During his time at UNC-CH, he realized his interests in science and spirits. While he was drawn to the science behind distilling, he also appreciated the fine art and detail that the process requires. Browne followed his passions, and after tremendous hard work, Oaklee Distilling Co. was born in 2014. The name of his first product, Boots, even pays tribute to Browne’s childhood—he was never seen without a pair of boots on his feet. Situated in the Historic Downtown District of Wendell, NC, the distilling company is a dream come true for Browne.

Cara Hutto

Oaklee Distilling occupies a space downtown lined with bricks and large open windows. As soon as you walk inside, it’s hard not to admire the beautiful Boots branded artwork, abundant wooden barrels housing Browne’s aging Bourbon and the large custom-made copper machinery imported from Germany.

Cara Hutto

The milling, fermenting, distilling, mashing and bottling is all done on site. The vodka is proofed to Troop Strength, meaning it identifies as a 90 proof—a slightly higher alcohol content than most vodkas on the market. It’s also known as Vodka with Traction, since its higher alcohol content and robust flavor profile holds traction in traditional cocktails.

Browne sources all of his ingredients locally and takes pride in the relationships he's cultivated with the local farmers. When the distilling and filtration processes are finished, the mash is returned to these same farms, coming full circle. Since North Carolina has long-standing been one of the highest producers of sweet potatoes, it’s no surprise that Oaklee uses local sweet potatoes along with local white corn. The base of corn and potatoes creates a hybrid profile—you get the sweetness of the grain and the earthy body of the potato.

Cara Hutto

Crafted out of respect to martini drinkers, Boots is the perfect vodka for all sweet cocktails. Pair it in a Moscow Mule, Cosmopolitan or Browne’s favorite, the James Bond Vesper cocktail—no matter what you choose you won’t be disappointed. In addition to vodka, Oaklee is working on a bourbon and gin to release in the nearby future as well. The bourbon is currently aging in the barrel and will be released at proper age sometime this year.

Oaklee Distilling has tours and tastings the third Thursday of each month from 5:00pm until 7:30pm. It’s the perfect opportunity to learn more about the distillery and see Browne’s passion firsthand. Browne certainly opened my eyes to the art and fine detail that does into distilling, in addition to proving that hard work really does pay off.

“I love being able to make things with my hands,” Browne said, “and seeing my bottles on the shelves of stores is really a dream come true.”