If you had to eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be? For me, the answer is noodles. I love noodles—I live and breathe noodles of any and all kinds, and it has been that way since I was a kid. With a surge of new restaurants opening around St. Louis, I've been on the hunt for a new favorite place that lets me live out my noodle dreams, and I've found it: the one and only Nudo House

About Nudo House

Matthew Wenger

I had the opportunity to chat with co-owner Qui Tran, and it's obvious that Nudo House is the result of perseverance and heart. Located in Creve Coeur, the restaurant has only been open for about six months, but has already been a smashing success. Before opening, Tran did his research on all things ramen and after some persistence, he was even able to train with Shigetoshi Nakamura—aka one of the four people in Japan who is hailed as a "Ramen God." One visit, and you'll see why Nudo House was on the cover of the 2018 February issue of Food and Wine Magazine

The atmosphere

Matthew Wenger

When you walk in, you're instantly greeted by a positive environment. The place itself has a modern vibe: from the trendy lights that hang above the tables to the bold red accents, the environment makes the ramen experience that much better. But it's the all-star team that really completes the restaurant—everyone there wants to be there, and they're having a great time doing what they do best. Executive chef and co-owner Marie-Anne Valesco runs the kitchen, but most of the other chefs under her have run their own kitchens in the past. The fact that these talented individuals want to be at Nudo House under another executive chef speaks volumes.

The menu

Matthew Wenger

I cannot rave about this menu enough. While the restaurant specializes in ramen and pho, everything else on the menu is just as spectacular. To start off, they offer a variety of appetizers like spring rolls, kimchi, and various unique salads. Since the same team that opened Nudo House is behind the restaurant Mai Lee, you can count on seeing variations of their signature pho on the menu. Even so, my favorite thing on the menu is by far the ramen. 

Nudo House's ramen noodles are handpicked by the owner straight from the manufacturer, so they're the perfect thickness, texture, and waviness. The broth is rich and honestly, will warm your soul. You can tell that time and care have been put into creating the perfect bowl just for you. From a person whose first ramen experience was in Japan, this is truly one of the best ramen dishes that I have ever had in the States.

Matthew Wenger

But If you're not in the mood for noodles, you have options. Try a Banh Mi sandwich instead. New menu items are constantly being added and tested out, due to the creative freedom that the chefs have in the kitchen.

Before you leave, be sure to check out their soft serve ice creams. I'm not usually one to go for dessert after a hearty noodle meal, but Nudo House puts their own spin on soft serve. The flavors are unique, and they change every day. I tried the coconut cream and Thai coffee swirl, and the combo was to die for. 

Last thoughts

Matthew Wenger

When I was talking to Qui Tran, one thing that he said really stood out to me: logistically, Nudo House could have opened three years ago. They had the people and resources to do it. But to Tran, something about the ramen wasn't completely perfect. So rather than opening an almost ready restaurant, time was taken to perfect their food, so they could give the best possible product to their customers. You just don't find that kind of dedication anywhere else, and this is what makes Nudo House truly exceptional. 

I've been talking about this restaurant non-stop to anyone who will listen. This place deserves all the recognition and respect in the world, and their food is absolutely incredible. I'll definitely be back again soon.