Austin is known for a few specific things: Tex-Mex, live music and its “eclectic” culture. But what’s easily overlooked is Austin’s killer bakery scene. There are dozens of hip bake shops that have popped up around Austin over the past few years, and we made it our mission to find the ones that offer the best pies, because honestly, who doesn’t love pie?

Here’s a no-fail guide to pie-eating in Austin, broken down for your convenience.

If you want a meal and dessert…

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

The Upper Crust is the place to go. Located on Burnet Road, it is one of the more spacious bakeries in Austin. This is probably because it offers a full lunch menu of sandwiches, soups and salads in addition to cases full of cakes, cookies, breads and (most importantly) pies. So go ahead and eat that salad. We all know you’re saving up for the main event.

average

Address: 4508 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78756
Hours: Mon-Fri: 6:30 am-6 pm, Sat: 7 am-5 pm, Sun: 7 am-1 pm

We recommend getting the Dutch apple pie, unique among other apple pies because it has walnuts on top for an added crunch.

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

If you ate too much for lunch…

Tiny Pies Exterior

Why not have a tiny pie?

A meal isn’t complete without dessert in our books. So, you ate that entire cheeseburger for lunch but are still craving something sweet to top it off. Tiny Pies is the answer to your tiny dessert prayers. The pie shop specializes in personal-sized pies: the perfect portion if eating an entire slice makes you have a sugar crash later in the day. Plus, those baby pies are totally insta-worthy.

average

Address: 5035 Burnet Road, Austin, TX 78756
Hours: Mon-Fri: 10 am-8 pm, Sat: 9 am-7 pm

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

If you’re looking for a meal replacement…

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

UT student population, meet Royer’s Pie Haven, a cozy little pie shop located across from campus on Guadalupe. More specifically, meet Royer’s savory pies. Nothing says comfort food like a chicken pot pie on a cold winter’s day.

We sampled multiple savory pies, and they were all divine.

average

Address: 2900 B Guadalupe, Austin, TX 78705
Hours: Sun-Mon: 10 am-6 pm, Tues-Sat: 10 am-8 pm

There’s the Margherita Chicken Pizza Pie if you’re looking for something cheesy.

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

The HeeHaw Pie, a combination of eggs, cheese and breakfast meats for all you early risers.

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

And a classic chicken pot pie for all the traditionalists out there.

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

If you’re wanting a new date hot spot…

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Sugar Mama’s on Manor Road is one of the most hip and cozy bakeshops in a slew of hip and cozy bakeshops in Austin. There’s an array of pies and cupcakes on display among tables with fresh flowers in vases. Oh, and there are games like Texasopoly and Trivial Pursuit available for customers to play if you’re in to that kind of thing.

average

Address: 2406 Manor Road Suit B, Austin, TX 78722
Hours: Tues-Thurs: 10 am-10 pm, Fri-Sat: 10 am-11 pm, Sun: 10 am-4 pm

So, we cheated a little here. Technically, the peanut butter chocolate cheesecake pie is not 100% pie. It’s more of a cheesecake than a pie, but it’s delicious so what are titles anyway?

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Just look at that drizzle.

If you’re a late night snacker…

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Many UT students are familiar with the Hyde Park favorite Quack’s Bakery. What many UT students may not be so familiar with is Quack’s cream pies. One of the few bakeshops in Austin that stays open past 6 pm, Quack’s makes for a great place to settle in with a slice of pie and some textbooks.

average

Address: 411 East 43rd Street, Austin, TX, 78751
Hours: Mon-Fri: 6:30 am-11 pm, Sat: 7 am-11 pm, Sun: 7:30 am-11 pm

For the more exotic palette, the coconut cream pie is an excellent choice.

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Or, a more universally appealing (and my personal favorite) is the chocolate cream pie.

pie

Photo by Kathleen Lee