If you've heard of  Machu Picchu, a New Wonder of the World, then you've heard of Peru. However, there's more to this beautiful country than just Inca ruins... which is why Peru should be your next foodie destination.  

Peru was named the Top Culinary Destination of the World in 2017 (its sixth straight year!). Not only do the various and distinct microclimates,  coasts, mountains and jungle regions allow Peru to grow a variety of fish, meats, vegetable, fruits and more, but also allow Peruvian chefs to combine local with international cuisine.

Ivana Rizo Patron

The first thing you have to try is Peru's emblematic ceviche: fresh fish, lemon, onion, cilantro, sweet potato and Peruvian corn (which yes, is different). Each chef tends to give their own touch to the classic ceviche, and you can find a ceviche restaurant on every corner, whether it's the fanciest restaurant in Peru or just next to a fruit stand.

Ivana Rizo Patron

Moving away from the ocean to land, lomo saltado is another plate you have to try. It's made from a stir-fry/wok style from Chinese influence, and is a simple beef plate with onion, tomato and soy sauce served with hand-cut french fries and rice that will not disappoint. 

If you haven't noticed already, potatoes and onions are an essential part of Peru's cuisine. So, it's not surprise that Peru grows over 4,000 different types of potatoes. 

Ivana Rizo Patron

For a typical breakfast, try a chicharrón (fried pork) sandwich. It's one of the tastier dishes, especially when the bread is warm and you add the onion sauce and home-made mayo and ají (chili) sauce. If you're really feeling It, add some sweet potato to your sandwich.  

Lets not forget about the wide range of foreign influence that exists in Peruvian food. From nikkei, a Japanese-Peruvian fusion to chifa, a Peruvian version of Chinese food, you will find ethnic food or fusion from all continents. Arroz chaufa (the Peruvian version of fried rice) has actually become one of our emblematic plates, and visiting a chifa restaurant is simply a must.

To highlight how important foreign influence is in Peruvian cuisine, Maido, a nikkei restaurant in Lima, has been named the 8th best restaurant in the world. Oh, and Peru has two more restaurant in the list of The World's 50 Best Restaurants. These are, #5: Central and #33: Astrid y Gastón. 

If you're really feeling adventurous, I dare you to try typical food from the Andean region, whether it's guinea pig or a plate that uses llama fillets as its protein. Peruvians also eat anticuchos, which are meat from a cow's heart. Personal disclaimer: these foods are not as bizarre as they seem.

Don't forget about dessert! From our typical alfajores, caramel filled cookies, to a tres leches (three milk) cake, to lucuma (typical Peruvian fruit) ice cream. You also have to try picarones, a Peruvian dessert somewhere between donuts and beignets that originated from colonial times. 

Peru has a food option for everyone. Any food you can think of we probably have, whether it is a sandwich from a small, family run restaurant, avocado toast at a small cafe, or a tasting menu at a world renowned restaurants. 

For every taste and for every budget, Peru has it all!