The Newman Cafe is a must-try for UMass students and those in the surrounding area. Open to anyone and everyone, you’ll find some of the best food on campus for bargain prices, and even though they don’t take dining dollars or YCMP, they’re well worth it considering that nearly all of the items are under $7. If you don’t have any cash or cards on you, have no fear: they take UCard debit. If you don’t make your way there at some point during your UMass career, you better get to it before all of campus shows up.

Breakfast

Newman Cafe

Photo by Alex Pressey

I heard Newman Cafe had great breakfast and being a breakfast aficionado, I knew I had to try it. For two eggs, toast, homefries, and a choice of bacon, ham, or sausage it only costs $4.25. I repeat. $4.25. Is it good? Absolutely. For under $5, you can feed yourself a full meal without breaking the bank. What more can anybody ask for? Breakfast is served all day and they have all of the breakfast staples, eggs to pancakes and french toast. Did I mention that you can get three pancakes or three pieces of french toast for $3.99?

Lunch

Newman Cafe

Photo by Bridget Thom

Newman Cafe’s breakfast was so great that I had to come back and try some of their other items. I ordered the falafel pita and upgraded to fries and I was very satisfied. Even if it isn’t the best falafel I’ve ever had, I couldn’t be happier that it tasted great and left me full. They also have a wide range of other classic and specialty sandwiches, burgers, salads, and even fried cod and clam strip platters. They really have it all figured out. The open kitchen setup has you leaning over the counter in anticipation of your own order. One of their most popular items on the menu is the Jimmy Jammer, a honey barbecue chicken, bacon, ranch wrap. I’m drooling at the thought of it. Don’t overlook the Seven Deadly Sins sandwiches either.

Newman Cafe

Photo by Bridget Thom

The Newman Cafe is a great place to spend time with friends or to do some homework. They’ve got wifi and plenty of seating for whatever you may need and there are also table tennis, foosball, and video games available for use in the large open seating area. Need catering? They can do that to for as little as $5.25 per person. You want it? They most likely got it.

Thinking about checking the Newman Cafe out? The hours are:

Monday thru Friday: 7:30am to 4pm

Saturday and Sunday: 8am to 2pm

Newman Cafe

Photo by Bridget Thom