If you've driven down Grant Rd. recently, then you've seen the line forming in the parking lot of Culinary Dropout. With locations in Austin, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tempe, the Tucson location is the newest addition to the expanding chain. The combination of booze, food, and games makes this new place a go-to destination. When the line for the new location is that long, it makes you question whether or not the new restaurant is worth the hype?

The Booze

My friend and I both ordered the Sangria, which was half off because it was happy hour. The large goblet of Sangria was definitely worth the $4 price tag. The price might have been good, but the sangria was another story. It was an interesting combination of alcohol that did not mix well together. There was also no garnish of fruit in the drink, which was odd. The combination of alcohol and no fruit made for a disappointing happy hour drink. Fortunately, there is a large array of beer, wine, and mixed drinks on the menu to try from. 

Erica Szpylczyn

The Food

My friend ordered the pork belly nachos and I ordered the pretzel and fondue and cheese plate. The pork belly nachos were a mixture of chips with nacho cheese, beans, pork belly, pico de gallo, sour cream, and guacamole. The pork belly nachos were well worth the happy hour price of $8 and the sizing and taste also did not disappoint.  

Erica Szpylczyn

The next item we ordered off the menu was the pretzels and fondue. The pretzel and fondue dish was priced at $7 and did not disappoint in price or in taste as well. The pretzels were light, airy and bite-size, while the nacho cheese was the same as the nacho cheese from the pork belly nachos. It was a good plate that deserved to be ordered again.

Erica Szpylczyn

The cheese plate was the least worth the price in my opinion. Priced at $6, there were only four different cheeses on the plate. I was definitely expecting a larger plate with different types of cheeses on it. It did come with a side of dried fruit which was substantial but the lack of bread or crackers did not help the mediocre plate.

Erica Szpylczyn

Overall

Culinary Dropout was definitely worth the hype. Some of the notable things on the menu included the pretzels & fondue and the pork belly nachos. Things to avoid are the sangria and the cheese plate. Going during happy hour was definitely a great idea for the prices if you are dining on a budget. To compare, on a weekday the pork belly nachos are $13 and the pretzels & fondue is $11. If you're dining during the week, making a reservation is a good idea. With reasonable prices and tasty food, your next meal should be at Culinary Dropout.