The Gryphon is a not-so-hidden gem in downtown Burlington, Vermont, and it checks off all boxes. They’ve got brunch, lunch, and dinner, in addition to a bar. Located in the Historic Vermont House, it’s the perfect dining spot. It’s just down the street from The Flynn, a block away from Church Street Marketplace, and has a lake view that’s especially gorgeous at sunset.

I decided to review their dinner selections, and all-in-all it was a great experience. The waiters were attentive and friendly and the atmosphere was quite fancy. There was a guitarist and a bassist playing as well, which added to the charm and ambience of the space.

gryphon

Photo by Jennifer Nigro

We started with the Gryphon Cheese Fondue, which was made up of Emmanteler, Gruyere, and Appenzeller cheese, garlic, white wine, Kirsch, and nutmeg. Price: $26

The fondue was good, but the white wine was very strong. It came with Granny Smith apples, carrots, and baguette pieces to dip. It is typically eaten as a meal for one and appetizer for two, but it definitely could’ve been split easily among four people. For the price, it definitely could have had a better baguette and more foods to dip, but the servers were happy to bring more apples, carrots, and bread to dip if needed. Overall, if you’re a fan of white wine, I highly recommend this. But if you’re not, this fondue is a fonDON’T.

gryphon

Photo by Jennifer Nigro

For the main dish, I chose the seafood grits, topped with seared scallops, shrimp, and lobster butter. Price: $24

The scallops were cooked perfectly, although the shrimp were slightly tough. However, both were seasoned well and tasted great. The grits were creamy and didn’t overpower the rest of the dish, and the lobster butter added another level of flavor.

gryphon

Photo by Jennifer Nigro

We also tried the panko crusted salmon baked with wine and lemon on top of kale, chard, tomatoes, white beans, and garlic. Price: $20

The salmon was cooked wonderfully and was very juicy. It was light on the panko breading which emphasized the salmon’s flavor. It complemented the kale and chard very well and the sauce was fantastic.

gryphon

Photo by Jennifer Nigro

I would highly recommend The Gryphon to anyone in the Burlington area who wants a filling seafood dinner, or just looking for a great place to eat, drink, and relax.