It's time to take a break from studying for midterms, throw on your favourite sweater, and go enjoy the beautiful view of pumpkins in an open field. Whether it is a fun outing with your friends, a cute date, or even a photo opportunity, a pumpkin patch is a perfect place to go! The winter weather is quickly approaching so this is a perfect way to enjoy the outdoors while you still can.

Don't know of any pumpkin patches in the Waterloo area? Don't fret, I have found the best places for you to go and explore!

1. Shantz Family Farm

Where: 1544 Bleams Rd // Petersburg 

This may be a bit of a longer study break if you want to get the full Shantz Family Farm experience! Between the pumpkin patch, farm animals, and unique corn maze it is easy to spend hours here. You will have to buy at least one tasty treat from the snack shack to end your trip, they sell everything from pumpkin pies to cookies! I recommend trying the pumpkin tart, you will not be disappointed that's for sure!

Meg Casbourn

2. Herrle's Country Farm Market

Where: 1243 Erb's Rd // St Agatha 

You are going to want to put down your books and take a trip to this farm. Herrle's Country Farm Market is packed with not only pumpkins but incredible artisanal products you are going to want to indulge in! A pumpkin won't be the only thing you will want to take home once you see the homemade jams, freshly baked goods and wooden crafts. It's way more than just your average pumpkin patch!

pie, pumpkin, crust, cream
Sydney Segal

3. Nauman's Farm

Where:  3250 Hessen Strasse St. // Clements

If you were looking for the perfect place to take fall photo's, Nauman's is the place for you! The changing colours of the trees create a picture perfect background; and with over 5000 pumpkins and 20 varieties on display, you are sure to find the perfect pumpkin to take home with you. 

Meg Casbourn

4. Good Family Farm

Where: 909 Bridge St. E. // Waterloo

If you are a squash lover, this farm was meant for you. Their large variety of squash will make choosing one very difficult! It's the perfect time of year to enjoy some homemade squash soup. You should definitely give this  Butternut Squash Soup Recipe a try, it is relatively easy and you will be sure to love it. This will be the perfect way to warm up once you get home from your adventure at the farm. The best part? This cute family farm is only a 15-minute drive from campus which means there is no reason not to go!  

fresh produce, farmer's market, Fall, squash, Vegetables
Kelsey Ragnini

What are you waiting for? 

Now that you know of some perfect pumpkin patches that are relatively close to campus all you have to do is grab a roommate or friend and enjoy the beautiful fall weather while it lasts! Whether you come home with a pumpkin, squash, baked good, or even just a cute picture of you and your friends, you will certainly leave feeling satisfied. 

Happy pumpkin picking!