Shawarma 360. The new and delicious “fast food” joint that you need has come to Toronto, and it gives a modern twist to Middle Eastern cuisine.

shawarma

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Since Toronto is a multicultural paradise, foods from around the world are a given. In my neighbourhood alone, there’s an abundance of fast-food joints that feature shawarma, and Shawarma 360 is definitely one of the best gems I’ve found. Before we get to the food, the restaurant’s unique atmosphere deserves a mention.

shawarma

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

When I first entered the establishment, I was surprised to see a hip and modern interior design. The vibrant colours and fun posters were inviting, and if I didn’t have to run back to work, I would have loved to enjoy my shawarma experience inside.

shawarma

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

For those of you who live under a rock, shawarma features a type of meat roasted on a spit (usually chicken, lamb, or beef) that’s shaved down and served in a pita or on a plate. It might remind you of the Turkish doner kebab or the Greek gyro, but while similar in process, the shawarma differs in its condiments. It typically features tahini, hummus and pickled turnips.

shawarma

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

One of the most unique features of Shawarma 360 is that they hand-make their pitas. This embodies the fresh, never frozen, locally grown and non-GMO mantras that they hold. The pita itself had a doughy and chewy texture that gave even more substance to the meal.

shawarma

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

The classic chicken plate, although lacking in presentation (sorry Instagram fiends), made up for it in taste (which is the most important, duh). The meat was marinated to perfection and had a pleasant, spicy kick that was complemented perfectly by the refreshing veggies and flavourful sauces.

Shawarma 360 is a must-visit, especially if you want a healthier fast food alternative. It makes a great, quick lunch on a work day, and will probably be my new go-to food after a night out, too.